• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 No Crank No Start

98rangerin808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, quite new to TRS and wanted to see if anyone could help me get my truck back up n running. First problem it ever gave me was the shifter column going out (completely loose/falling column shifter). I replaced the column shifter and now my truck will not start. I bought a brand new battery yesterday thinking it was the problem because my battery light and voltage gauge says low. But i replaced the battery and the light is still on along with the gauge being about a couple cm's above L. I dont know what the problem could be please help.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like it may be the neutral safety switch. Here's a video of how to replace it. Looks like it's on the side of the transmission like the old ones were. 1st thing to do is see if it's in adjustment. Maybe this video will tell you how to adjust it once you replace it, maybe that's all you need to do.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Battery Light is actually a "charge" light, it should be on with key on, but then go OFF when engine is running
If it stays on it means the Alternator is not working

Could just be a blown fuse, check engine bay fuse box, ALT SYSYFUSE, 30 amp

If thats not it then alternator may be bad

98rangerin808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like it may be the neutral safety switch. Here's a video of how to replace it. Looks like it's on the side of the transmission like the old ones were. 1st thing to do is see if it's in adjustment. Maybe this video will tell you how to adjust it once you replace it, maybe that's all you need to do.

how can i be sure its the safety switch? a friend of mine told me it was that and that i need to move it to a certain position and then i did but still no crank no start.

98rangerin808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Battery Light is actually a "charge" light, it should be on with key on, but then go OFF when engine is running

sorry dont know much about the fuse box but which fuse am i supposed to look at? what does it look like?

98rangerin808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

just checked the fuse its not blown, is there a chance it could have anything to do with the 15 amp fuse right above? (number 13 on the fuse diagram) if so it might be it because that fuse is blown.

98rangerin808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe you misunderstood or I did
Alternator is for running the electrics in the vehicle and charging the battery AFTER the engine starts

You said you got a new battery but the battery light stayed on....................I assume that meant after the engine started, because Battery light is always on when key is on and engine is off, its suppose to be on

If your starter motor is not coming on that's a different system, a simpler system
It's usually battery cables are not clean
You got a new battery did you clean the ends of the battery cables and then tighten them up tight?

As franklin2 said have you tried shifting automatic to N(neutral) and then try to START engine?
If that works then the transmission shift cable or the Neutral switch is out of adjustment, so its not going fully into PARK

98rangerin808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry i didnt clarify and didnt know the light stays on in the on position, engine has not turned over so yes the light is still on. Starter does not engage. And truck does not start in neutral i tried adjusting nuetral safety switch multiple times

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check fuse 24 in Cab Fuse box, 7.5amp

Do you know if your 1998 had a Factory Alarm system, or if someone added an Alarm system, they have START DISABLE relays

When you turn the key to START you should hear a relay in the engine fuse box "click"
That means the 12volts from ignition switch is making it thru Fuse 24 and thru the Neutral switch to the starter relay in engine fuse box

98rangerin808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Check fuse 24 in Cab Fuse box, 7.5amp

Do you know if your 1998 had a Factory Alarm system, or if someone added an Alarm system, they have START DISABLE relays

When you turn the key to START you should hear a relay in the engine fuse box "click"
That means the 12volts from ignition switch is making it thru Fuse 24 and thru the Neutral switch to the starter relay in engine fuse box
Ill do that as soon as i get off work, i know that the previous owner put a viper alarm system but im pretty sure its not in use, i can send a picture later if u need. RonD i very much appreciate your help seriously lol

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would see if you can get the Viper model number

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do you hear the Relay in the engine bay fuse box "CLICK" when you turn the key to START?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals