• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 No Crank No Start

98rangerin808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
When i first heard that click i thought it meant my starter was bad so my mechanic buddy came down with some dewalt sensor or something and it read my alt was bad so he said it’s guaranteed your alt, come to find out its not.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you hear the Relay in engine bay fuse box "CLICK" then everything up to that point is OK

Ignition switch-----------fuse24--------neutral switch----------relay
All this is Good

That leaves the Starter motor
Simple test

1998 Engine fuse box diagram here: https://www.autogenius.info/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/ford-ranger-fuse-box-power-distribution-1998.jpg

Relay 6 is the starter relay, the one that "CLICKS" with key in START, its the double square with the 6 inside toward the right
Pull it out

You will see these Slots in the fuse box after relay is out: http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/images/mini-relay-diode-wiring.jpg

MAKE SURE transmission is in PARK !!!!
And Key is in your pocket

Use a jumper wire to connect Slot 30 and Slot 87(not 87A) together, starter motor should activate
If not starter is for sure, 100%, dead

If starter DOES activate, replace relay
You can pullout Relay 9 and use it in place of relay 6, to get engine starting with key
Relay 9 is for the heater fan, so it won't work until you get a new relay

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When i first heard that click i thought it meant my starter was bad so my mechanic buddy came down with some dewalt sensor or something and it read my alt was bad so he said it’s guaranteed your alt, come to find out its not.
Seeing that the truck doesn't start, there is no way he could have tested the alternator.

He may have assumed the alternator was bad because the battery voltage was low.

Are you sure this new battery is fully charged and that both ends of both battery cables are clean and tight ?

98rangerin808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Seeing that the truck doesn't start, there is no way he could have tested the alternator.

He may have assumed the alternator was bad because the battery voltage was low.

Are you sure this new battery is fully charged and that both ends of both battery cables are clean and tight ?
He said multimeter

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Like was said, the alternator will not keep the truck from starting if the battery is charged up. Do you have the battery on a little trickle charger? Or have you had the battery tested?

Once the engine is running, then you can check the alternator.

98rangerin808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you hear the Relay in engine bay fuse box "CLICK" then everything up to that point is OK

Ignition switch-----------fuse24--------neutral switch----------relay
All this is Good

That leaves the Starter motor
Simple test

1998 Engine fuse box diagram here: https://www.autogenius.info/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/ford-ranger-fuse-box-power-distribution-1998.jpg

Relay 6 is the starter relay, the one that "CLICKS" with key in START, its the double square with the 6 inside toward the right
Pull it out

You will see these Slots in the fuse box after relay is out: http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/images/mini-relay-diode-wiring.jpg

MAKE SURE transmission is in PARK !!!!
And Key is in your pocket

Use a jumper wire to connect Slot 30 and Slot 87(not 87A) together, starter motor should activate
If not starter is for sure, 100%, dead

If starter DOES activate, replace relay
You can pullout Relay 9 and use it in place of relay 6, to get engine starting with key
Relay 9 is for the heater fan, so it won't work until you get a new relay
Thanks so much i just made the jumper wire and the starter did activate, but when i replaced the relay and tried to start it the same thing happened. No crank no start just a click. Battery is at 13.1v

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have someone put their finger on the starter relay(#6) in the fuse box while someone else turns the Key to START
Should feel it click
If not then another relay is making the "click" noise so problem is in the wiring to that relay

Ignition switch------X-----fuse24-----X---neutral switch----X------relay

X marks the spot, lol, so a few things to check, and there is ONLY voltage on these wires with key turned to START

You can start the engine using the Jumper wire, just have the trans IN PARK and key ON, activate starter
Then you can test if alternator is working
13v at battery should change to 14volts but under 15volts, 13.5-14.8v is the range for alternators

98rangerin808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry what are the X’s, and how do i check them?

98rangerin808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Have someone put their finger on the starter relay(#6) in the fuse box while someone else turns the Key to START
Should feel it click
If not then another relay is making the "click" noise so problem is in the wiring to that relay

Ignition switch------X-----fuse24-----X---neutral switch----X------relay

X marks the spot, lol, so a few things to check, and there is ONLY voltage on these wires with key turned to START

You can start the engine using the Jumper wire, just have the trans IN PARK and key ON, activate starter
Then you can test if alternator is working
13v at battery should change to 14volts but under 15volts, 13.5-14.8v is the range for alternators
So i started engine and alt was running at about 14.5 and same as the battery, so i think my problem is in my starter relay right?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
X marks the wires to test for voltage, assuming you don't feel a click at starter relay

I would test fuse 24 first, see if it has 12v with key turned to START, if not then ignition switch under steering column is most likely the issue

Unplug neutral switch, called the DTR
Test PINK wire to see if it has 12v with key turned to START, this is the 12v IN from fuse 24
There is a Tan/Red stripe wire on the switch as well, that's the OUT to starter relay

If you jumper the pink and tan/red wires together then relay and starter motor should activate with key turn to START, i.e. bypassing the DTR, like you did the relay

EDIT
test if relay is working with finger feel or just swap in relay 9

98rangerin808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
sorry, I did feel the click in my relay 6, and when i replaced it with relay 9 the same thing happened. I was able to start engine from the jumper wire though

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here are the two different starting diagrams for a 1998 ranger. One diagram is for a 2.5 engine. The other is if you have a 3.0 or 4.0 engine. You have been doing good using jumpers and your fingers to troubleshoot, but I think it is time for you to graduate to at least a testlight. You can get one cheap at Harbor Freight. Once you get that, you can check for voltage at different areas and find where the problem is located. People on this board can walk you through doing some testing and reading the diagrams. Otherwise you are going to have to take it to a shop.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Looking at the diagram for the 3.0 or 4.0, it looks like it has some sort of anti-theft relay at the top of the circuit. I wonder where this "relay box" is located? That would be a interesting spot to check the circuit.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here is the ignition switch part of the circuit that feeds the theft relay in the other diagram.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals