• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'98 Explorer to '00 B4000 engine swap & cps

Joatmon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Transmission
Automatic
I'm swapping the 4.0 engine from a 98 explorer into a '00 b4000 that had a blown 4.0 but I'm stumped at the camshaft position sensor. The explorer one has a 3 prong plug, b4000 a 2 prong. Can I just swap the syncro/sensor over? Never had to mess with a cmp before so it's all new to me, any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Joatmon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Transmission
Automatic
No ideas?
Still haven't gotten anywhere with the truck between this, other issues & the weather. The synchronizers between the two have identical part numbers but the top ends are different.
I read somewhere that the explorers used a different camshaft than the Rangers, is this the case or could I just reuse the synchro from the blown engine?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Buy a new cam synchronizer for the 2000 engine and use that.

Joatmon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I thought about doing that but wanted to make sure it would work before I dropped any more cash on this motor. I'll try it & see how it goes.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
They're both OHV engines, right?

Joatmon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah they are, blown engine was from a 99 ranger, "new" motor is from a 98 explorer. Both 4.0, auto & 4wd. Thus far the only differences I've found are the wiring harness, synchro & oil pressure sender. With the synchros being different I was worried the timing would be different as well.
The upper one is the explorer synchro, lower is the ranger if that helps at all.

Attachments

Joatmon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, finally got the blasted thing together enough to try starting it. Pretty much everything that could make working on a rig take longer has happened. Seriously it's been an example of all the anti-ford hype I've ever heard, figures I'd have that experience with my first ford...

Anyway got it started, let it stumble around at idle for a minute or two before it died & checked the codes. It threw one for the camshaft position sensor so figure the timings out either through my error or from reusing the ranger synchro & the blue alignment cap. I might try it again with one of the other caps in the kit unless someone here has better advice on how to do it.

Joatmon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, the ranger cam sychronizer appears to work but now that it seems the explorer engine had issues before I swapped it. Changed the plugs & the old ones were all oil fouled on the drivers side & one was crusted over. New plugs on drivers side all blackened with only minutes of run time, passenger side is still spotless.
When running it backfires out the the exhaust till you give it throttle, then the backfire pretty much goes away & it begins to ping some instead.
Has new plugs, wires, exhaust manifold gaskets, intake plenum rings & the injectors have been cleaned/swapped around with the same result. Also tried different 02 sensors with no change & it's not throwing any codes. I've also checked the vauum lines & replaced what was leaking.
As best I can tell it's running rich on the drivers side but I'm fairly certain nothing outside the engine is causing it, could a bad intake manifold gasket do it or maybe something in the valvetrain? There's no tapping or clicking noise as it runs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals