• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 explorer AWD 5.0 v8 to 99 4.0 ranger 4x4.

badhabits8419

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have learned a lot from this forum. On the v8 swap. If I understand correctly I'm supposed to be able to plug the motor and trans harness into my 99 ranger 4.0 harness? Is there anything that has to be modified to make it work on my harness? I know I have pats and have to swap it over to work. Pcm, steering column, and pats. Where is the pats located? Is it a box? I have not started yet. Thanks

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Soo…

The engine harness is 98% plug-n-play if you have an ideal donor. The big square plug, plugs right in. The small plug on the drivers side for the starting/charging harness does not. Have to splice wires or build an adapter (which I’ve done). It’s only a handful of wires and I even have a video about it on YouTube. If I had the extra parts I could even build an adapter harness for someone.

The bad is, a 98 Explorer is a not-so-ideal donor for a 98+ Ranger. Ford did some strange things, the 98 Explorer got PATS, but had the return fuel system with the lower fuel pressure, like the 97 and older Rangers. I’m not sure if things can be modified. I asked and was told no, it doesn’t work, but nobody was able to explain why. I ended up trading parts with someone who had what I needed to convert to a 2000 Explorer (computer, pats, ignition and keys, fuel injectors, fuel rail, engine harness, cam synchro).

Other problems I ran into with a 98 donor was for whatever reason, the driveshafts ended up too long by roughly an inch. For the front, the Explorer front shaft fit fine. For the rear, I have to cut down my driveshaft. I don’t know if it was something to do with my choice of donor or that I replaced my Ranger axles with the Explorer ones (they shouldn’t be different sizes).

The PATS module is buried in the dash, a white box. That and the ignition cylinder and keys do not have to be replaced. You can, and it simplifies the process because nothing needs programmed, but the first one I built, we didn’t know we needed that stuff so we ended up having a dealer reprogram the thing. The one I’m currently working on, I used Forscan on my laptop to program it and it was a pretty painless process. Little time consuming because of having to unlock the anti-theft (it’s a time-delay procedure), but once I was in, I just had to tell it that I replaced the computer and it did it’s magic and instantly all of my Ranger keys were fully functional. It was like I had never changed anything, no need to reprogram keys.

badhabits8419

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for your response. I have a 99 and 00 explorer as well. So I'll just take fuel rail of one of them. Should solve the return issue. Correct? And do you have a link to that video on YouTube sir?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Returnless fuel system runs at 60psi fuel pressure
Return fuel system runs a 35psi
Rangers(most Fords) never had fuel pressure sensors

The Computer for each year/vehicle is pre-programmed for injector size and pressure, i.e. how much fuel is released when injector is open for XX milliseconds, which, of course, would be directly based on size of injector and pressure at the injector
You need to match computer with fuel system
You can change the fuel system from Return to Returnless or visa versa, just need to change the computer to match what you want/have

Return system will have an Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) on the engine, with a Return hose running back to the gas tank, it has flow in the hose no pressure so not hard to add this return line

Returnless has the FPR in the gas tank with the pump, so you can change the fuel pump assembly to get Returnless

So pick what you want to use and then you have a starting point of what modifications you need, if any

Early PATS, 1998-2000, used a separate PATS module located above the glove box
These can be swapped, with its matching computer, between Explorers and Rangers, plug and play
PATS module and computer are a "Matched Pair", so need to be swapped together, can't just change the computer or PATS module on their own

The transceiver around the key slot is just an antenna so doesn't need to be swapped

PATS keys each have a unique number in the handle(RFID Tag), and that number was programmed into the PATS module at the factory, usually 2 or 3 numbers, the keys the vehicle came with new
But you can swap over ignition key cylinder to keep the PATS keys with their PATS module, also door locks to match keys

badhabits8419

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks sir for the info. I'm lucky and have 3 explorers that run. One 00 is on 2.5 tons and the other two run and drive. The 98 is flawless low low miles. I'll just take everything off the 99 parts rig and use the 98 motor and trans. 98 has 42k on it one owner. So I figured it be great for my lil daily ranger. Again thanks for clearing up a few things that are a lil grey for me. Hope this helps someone else's in the future. I'll be starting soon and update on the swap.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for your response. I have a 99 and 00 explorer as well. So I'll just take fuel rail of one of them. Should solve the return issue. Correct? And do you have a link to that video on YouTube sir?
You’ll need the full list that I posted (computer, engine harness, fuel rail and injectors, cam synchro assembly - goes down the distributor hole and should be set at TDC). If you don’t want to have to program anything, you’ll want the ignition cylinder and PATS module along with the keys and to keep it one key you’ll have to swap the door cylinders. Or you can just put the computer in and program to the ranger keys. One other thing, the 2000 (and possibly the 99) will have the IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor as part of the MAF. On mine I ended up using the 98 MAF which didn’t have the sensor built in, but the 2000 connector fits the 98 MAF despite having two extra pins. I bought a new IAT from Autozone (Duralast Gold that came with a pigtail) and the pins are the same, so I popped the two outside pins out of the MAF plug and put them in the IAT plug.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thank again. I'll prob start or do the swap next weekend.
There’s a few videos of my work to my green Ranger that I’m doing the swap in on my YouTube channel. I’ve had a real battle with this one and I’m still working on figuring out the whole YouTube thing. The microphone on my camera kinda sucks too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Yotaismygame
February Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals