• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 cobra upgrade /93 ranger 2/wd

smccatv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
I can get some ,98 cobra front and rear disc brakes. The rear bracket was cut for a Fox upgrade. 16 or 17" rims I assume for the large rotors. Depending on rims how much spacing will I need? Like to go with Mustang rims.

Rangeritus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I can get some ,98 cobra front and rear disc brakes. The rear bracket was cut for a Fox upgrade. 16 or 17" rims I assume for the large rotors. Depending on rims how much spacing will I need? Like to go with Mustang rims.
Ive got mustang rear brakes on my rwd ranger. But they are just gt, smaller ones with mustang 17" wheels plenty of room. Not sure if 16's are big enough for the cobras but 17's should definately fit

Attachments

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
17" minimum wheel required for the 13" Cobra front rotors.
You'll need a plan for front hubs because the Ranger's stock hubs are integrated into the rotors. The kits that used to be sold took a Ranger rotor and machined the rotor part off until it would fit into the Cobra rotor hat. There might be some pics somewhere on the internet to help explain a little better.
You'll need a custom caliper bracket in the front to move the caliper away from the hub enough to fit the larger rotors. Do the 93's have single piston calipers? It's definitely worth a caliper upgrade if they do, but that might require newer Ibeams.

If you're willing to do an I beam swap, I'd suggest the ATS brake option over the Cobra stuff. They're better calipers than the Cobras:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
17" minimum wheel required for the 13" Cobra front rotors.
You'll need a plan for front hubs because the Ranger's stock hubs are integrated into the rotors. The kits that used to be sold took a Ranger rotor and machined the rotor part off until it would fit into the Cobra rotor hat. There might be some pics somewhere on the internet to help explain a little better.
You'll need a custom caliper bracket in the front to move the caliper away from the hub enough to fit the larger rotors. Do the 93's have single piston calipers? It's definitely worth a caliper upgrade if they do, but that might require newer Ibeams.

If you're willing to do an I beam swap, I'd suggest the ATS brake option over the Cobra stuff. They're better calipers than the Cobras:

'93 have the single piston/"slide" calipers. So, @smccatv really wants to start by upgrading his Ranger's knuckles to '95-'95 ones to get bolt in calipers (doesn't require newer i-beams, but you would want to replace ball joints while you had it apart). Then integrating adapter between knuckle and caliper becomes a bolt in process (An adapter for "slide" calipers would be a work of art though).
I've done the machining on hub/adapter myself, but due to product liability reasons, I won't commercially do it. And my adapter was hogged out of a single block of steel as I don't trust aluminium on brakes where the original design wasn't for that material. Saving a pound wasn't worth it on 2,500lb truck.​

@smccatv You probably want to run spacers with most (all) Mustang rims, so the bearing cap doesn't interfere with the rim center/the offset is correct - you can see @Rangeritus is. (Ranger rims are 0-12mm offset, Mustangs are 30-40mm).

Rangeritus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
'93 have the single piston/"slide" calipers. So, @smccatv really wants to start by upgrading his Ranger's knuckles to '95-'95 ones to get bolt in calipers (doesn't require newer i-beams, but you would want to replace ball joints while you had it apart). Then integrating adapter between knuckle and caliper becomes a bolt in process (An adapter for "slide" calipers would be a work of art though).
I've done the machining on hub/adapter myself, but due to product liability reasons, I won't commercially do it. And my adapter was hogged out of a single block of steel as I don't trust aluminium on brakes where the original design wasn't for that material. Saving a pound wasn't worth it on 2,500lb truck.​

@smccatv You probably want to run spacers with most (all) Mustang rims, so the bearing cap doesn't interfere with the rim center/the offset is correct - you can see @Rangeritus is. (Ranger rims are 0-12mm offset, Mustangs are 30-40mm).
Yes had to add the spacers so the mustang wheel centercaps cleared the spindles

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals