• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 4x4 Ranger frontend vibrating tons after bump

amarotica

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Liter
Transmission
Manual
Hello all,
I have a (98 Extended Cab 4x4 XLT) and whenever I go over any sort of bump or seam in the road like on the highway, there is a loud thud and then the cab starts vibrating really badly... I have searched the forums but can't find what it is. The vibration is not from the motor because I can press the clutch and be in neutral and it still makes the same vibration at the same frequency. The only way to get it to stop is it goes away on some bumps randomly then comes back about 3 seconds later and the other way is to put it in 4x4 High and then it stops vibrating too. As far as I can tell, the steering wheel vibrates just as much as the floorboards so I feel like it may be in the front wheels when spinning freely but not 100% sure its from the wheels.

Any suggestions or ideas of what it is or what to check would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Sounds to me like something is loose. you need to get under the truck and start yanking on things. if putting it in 4 hi stops it, check to make sure that the transmission and Transfer case are secure, it might be something simple like a bad transmission mount.

AJ

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
God is great, beer is good, and rangers are awesome!
I've had the same happen to me with similar problems. I hit a really big hole while wheeling and when i drove it on the highway, at about 55mph, it would shake and vibrate really bad. Took it to a tire shop and it turned out, when i hit that hole, i threw a wheel weight. Replaced it and i was good to go.

See if you are missing a weight on any of the wheels, and if thats not it. Try what ^^^ said.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I've had the same happen to me with similar problems. I hit a really big hole while wheeling and when i drove it on the highway, at about 55mph, it would shake and vibrate really bad. Took it to a tire shop and it turned out, when i hit that hole, i threw a wheel weight. Replaced it and i was good to go.

See if you are missing a weight on any of the wheels, and if thats not it. Try what ^^^ said.
If it was a wheel weight it would be doing it all the time. It would be off-balance all the time. He has another issue.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all,
I have a (98 Extended Cab 4x4 XLT) and whenever I go over any sort of bump or seam in the road like on the highway, there is a loud thud and then the cab starts vibrating really badly... I have searched the forums but can't find what it is. The vibration is not from the motor because I can press the clutch and be in neutral and it still makes the same vibration at the same frequency. The only way to get it to stop is it goes away on some bumps randomly then comes back about 3 seconds later and the other way is to put it in 4x4 High and then it stops vibrating too. As far as I can tell, the steering wheel vibrates just as much as the floorboards so I feel like it may be in the front wheels when spinning freely but not 100% sure its from the wheels.

Any suggestions or ideas of what it is or what to check would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Does it feel like it is coming from the wheel and steering area more then the cab area? If I remember right the 98 and 99 Rangers came with the hydraulic steering assist. You might want to check that out. If there is an issue with the assembly (fluid loss or damage) vibration will occur. The hydraulic steering might need to be bled or serviced. Can't hurt to check it out.

amarotica

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Liter
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions for my problem!!! I am just getting back on the forums after a long absence from here and I wanted to post my problem I had after all.

It turned out it was a needle bearing inside of the wheel bearing that the front cv axle spun on inside of the wheel bearing area. the bearing was worn out and so I bought a new $10 needle bearing and put it in (after about 4 months and $100 worth of new wheel bearings) and it was fixed with just the needle bearing!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals