• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 4x4 module/GEM wiring

freestyletrev

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello,
I've posted about this before, but in a less specific way.

I have a 98 xlt, 4x4 5spd. I can shift into 4 high fine. When switched to 4 low, no relay clicks, no flashing lights. I've taken the motor off and it will turn either way with 12v and the tc can be turned in 4 low. I imagine this is a sensor issue. (speed, brake, clutch switch)

My brake lights work, and I can start the truck only with the clutch pushed in fully, so I imagine those sensors are fine. The speed sensor is probably/ hopefully the culprit.

Can anyone tell me what wires going into the GEM are for the speed, brake, and clutch sensors so I can just run ground/12v to them when I want to shift to 4 low?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here ya go.
Clutch switch isn't just one switch, there are 3 switches in it, so in theory one of the switches could be broken and engine would still start, but longshot

Attachments

freestyletrev

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you so much for the diagrams!

Would you happen to have diagrams for the 4x4 module also?

I don't see where the GEM has a clutch sensor input; just brake and speed. I know the clutch switch that I know of is located on the clutch pedal assembly. Where are the other parts of it? Included inside that assembly?

freestyletrev

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Some of the diagrams wiring don't match up. I will have to wait until I can look at my wiring on my truck this weekend. This might be a life saver for me though! Thank you so very much!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals