• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 4.0 to smaller engine

Karcastic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,

I have another post in the b series specific forum but thought I'd investigate here also for more input.

I have a 98 b4000 rwd auto trans that I want to put a smaller engine in. I've read how easy a 2.9 to 4.0 is but I'd like to do the opposite, go small. Not sure what my options are really, any help/input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4.0l to 2.9l might get you 2mpg better, might being the key word.

4.0l has enough torque to run lower ratio axle gears, which lowers RPM at a preset speed, so if you do alot of highway driving MPG would be improved.

Look on the drivers door edge for a large sticker, it will have the current axle ratio on it, like 3.55, 3.73 or 4.10
Example:
If current 3.73 axle was doing 55mph at 2,000rpm in 5th gear
Then 3.08 axle would be doing 65mph at 2,000rpm in 5th gear

You do lose the quick acceleration BUT, you lose that with a smaller engine as well

Last edited:

stateranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you wanted to go down to a 2.9 you would have switch back to Obd-1(lots of work). If went to a 3.0 you would need the ecu+harness and transmission.

Karcastic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
4.0l to 2.9l might get you 2mpg better, might being the key word.

4.0l has enough torque to run lower ratio axle gears, which lowers RPM at a preset speed, so if you do alot of highway driving MPG would be improved.

Look on the drivers door edge for a large sticker, it will have the current axle ratio on it, like 3.55, 3.73 or 4.10
Example:
If current 3.73 axle was doing 55mph at 2,000rpm in 5th gear
Then 3.08 axle would be doing 65mph at 2,000rpm in 5th gear

You do lose the quick acceleration BUT, you lose that with a smaller engine as well
Thanks Stateranger and RonD for your responses.

RonD, so is my understanding correct, smaller axle ratio on my 4.0 might get me close enought to the most feul efficient engine made for these trucks? With a smaller axle ratio, would smaller tires be better also? I have factory 14 inch rims and 15 inch winter rims. I do a lot of highway driving around southern Ontario Canada. The stop and go traffic once in/around Toronto is daily consistent also, I wouldnt gun it in stop and go traffic anyway or at highway speeds so I am ok with loosing off the start line power.
Thanks

Karcastic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
If you wanted to go down to a 2.9 you would have switch back to Obd-1(lots of work). If went to a 3.0 you would need the ecu+harness and transmission.
I thought there was a b2300 model in 98 too. Was that a 2.3? Whould that be a direct swap just curious now for replacement insurance now as I see most people on here agree that fuel economy doesn't change much over the different engines. In this case ill probably work on bettering my 4.0 mileage. I'd reduce axle ratio, tire size, weight and maybe upgrade air flow/exhaust. Not sure about other mods. Electric fan would be smart also from my research on here.
Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Actually taller tires reduce RPM at preset speed, so would give better MPG on highway.
Notice I said "taller" not larger, "larger" tires weigh more so would reduce MPG.
Thinner tires have less friction so less rolling resistance, also less grip when cornering and in the rain, although hydroplaning on wider tires is an issue as well.

4.0l and 2.3l/2.5l are different blocks so engine and trans have to be swapped along with motor mounts, computer and wiring.
Better to sell the 4.0l truck and buy a 2.3l truck.

Exhaust changes, headers, are done to change the power band, the RPM range when engine has the most torque, factory exhaust is tuned for mid-band power, most headers go for lower power band, so take top-end power and move it down to lower RPMs.
It would not increase MPG unless you were an aggressive driver and the lower power band allowed you to accelerate faster with less gas pedal, but the difference would be marginal and probably non-existent if you drove that way, lol.

Last edited:

Karcastic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Actually taller tires reduce RPM at preset speed, so would give better MPG on highway.
Notice I said "taller" not larger, "larger" tires weigh more so would reduce MPG.
Thinner tires have less friction so less rolling resistance, also less grip when cornering and in the rain, although hydroplaning on wider tires is an issue as well.

4.0l and 2.3l/2.5l are different blocks so engine and trans have to be swapped along with motor mounts, computer and wiring.
Better to sell the 4.0l truck and buy a 2.3l truck
Ok, thanks RonD

I guess I could post a possible trade ad on this site to see if anyone would be interested in upgrading. I'm at 330k, there's a minor po303 so I change that spark twice a year, needs paint. Only things that have went on it is the fuel regulator, alt and batt obviously and rear fender flares. Not sure how much money I'll be into the switch after. I really thought a weekend with my mechanic and a low mileage cheap donor would be my best route. I can find lots of rust buckets in Ontario with low k parts. No ins bull, reg bull, tax bull, weekday bull, emission/safety bull, ontario rust bucket bull and hidden bull. My truck is in amazing condition. Only been in Ontario for two years so I guess I could get a fair price/swap for her. I'll be looking to change trucks as I work on my current mileage.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Sell it and buy a 4 banger with 3.08s.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals