• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 2.5l ford ranger performance/fuel mileage rebuild

BrownC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello, i have a 98 ford ranger 2.5l . It just rolled 300 thousand and it started to smoke a lil and knock. I have it pulled out and tore down. I would like some pointers on things to do to gain performance and get some more fuel mileage, but not nothing crazy. I was thinking a header, tornado plate, maybe a chip, egr delete. I know i have to bore cause of some damage to the cylinder so i am goin to bore 30 over. Should i go bigger cam and injectors since i am boring it? Where can i get these aftermarket performance parts? I have tried to find a header and it is near impossible. Will one for a 92 2.3fit mine? Sorry lots of questions.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
If you are serious about more power, drop another engine in it. The 2.3/2.5 family is just not a powerful design. When turbo charged it made adequate power. You always have the option of adding a turbo engine. Other than that, I wouldn't do anything other than build a great running OEM engine. It will get could mileage and last another 300K if you do it right. So use a Turbo engine, build it stock or drop in a V engine. Don't waste time and money on the engine you have an expect any real improvements.

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
don't listen to pete... mill the head down .070-.100, port it and get a 3 angle valve job, use a .420-.440 lift cam, speedway motors header, if you can afford it get bigger injectors and a custom tune of some sort. Should be good for 170 hp, and still get close to stock MPG. Yea its not a v8 but it will be a huge improvement. Check out racerwalsh, race engineering, esslinger, and speedway motors for parts.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I don't know anything. I've only restored cars longer than most of the people here have been alive.I built drag engines as well as street engines and taught Autoshop for 20 years . I have personally owned everything from 428 CJ Mustangs to 428 powered trucks, modified Volkswagons, to a Mercedes SLK. I've had over 10 Fox Mustangs, been down the track with a few of them, even had a Lincoln on the high banked track in Atlanta. I ran down a Pantera with a modifed Mustang at Charlotte Moptor Speedway. I raced a '57 Bird on Saturday nights on the street. I built everyone of them. I guess I'm too wet behind my ears huh?? . . What do I know?? . . you guys make me laugh . . . ignorance is bliss

19bonestock88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Plane travel? I'll do my flying on the ground, thanks!
it's not necessarily that we don't respect your experience, but there does seem to be some potential in these engines... after all, 170hp is a long way up from stock, especially with what is essentially a stage one cam... he is wanting a street build, after all...

btw, skip on the tornado... just a scam...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yeah, let's avoid the peeing matches...BrownC wants advice...

BrownC...what you are planning to do will give you a bit more power (shaving the head is a good idea)...bigger injectors will probably need a better cam and maybe a bit of porting...and then you're getting into tuning and a whole whack of added costs...

So, yeah, they can be built for more power...and as long as you're happy with what you had a bit more power would be nice...but...

Who is doing the work?

Have you found someone to do it for you who knows these engines? That is crucial...

As for parts...you can still buy new parts as needed...and there are places like Esslinger Engineering that sell performance parts (used to anyway), complete engines and all kinds of goodies.

If you are going out of spec with the bore you may need to price out pistons...a good machine shop/engine rebuilder can find all that for you (the markup on these parts is huge) so, again, it comes down to who is doing the work...and what they can get for you...and how much it will cost.

How long it will take is another story...

I don't have the experience or knowledge that some people on here have displayed, but I do know that I am quite happy with what these engines can provide...it's really as simple as that...bigger is not always better...but it can be less work and more fun...:)

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
It's a matter of whether it is really worth the trouble. There are other avenues if you want performance. Everything in life reflects a level of efficiency. There are efficient ways to achieve end goals and there are less or completely inefficient ways to achieve a goal. Life is about choosing the best way . Whether it be an engine, a vehicle or a financial plan, etc. IMO, if you really want performance from a Ranger, a NA 2.3/2.5 is not the platform to use.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
True, but it really is a matter of how much performance he wants. If he's sort of happy but just wants a bit more bang then what could they be done to what they have is what the OP was asking.

I had a head rebuilt and put in a slightly longer duration cam for a total cost of about $600 (including buying the head) and was thrilled with what little gains I received. I may be easy to please and don't expect everyone to be happy with that...but...this is the 2.3 forum...

When someone asks what can be done to a 2.3 then we should try to give them something to work with as opposed to simply encouraging them to drop in a bigger engine.

In my opinion, moving to a completely different engine and transmission is more work than tearing down what you have and making it better....but that is merely my opinion based on what I currently have...

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pete, you are right, if you want serious power a v8 or turbo is the way to go, but don't down play the potential of these engines with little work. Have you ever built a 2.3/2.5?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
BrownC... I'm sorry for doing this in your thread, but it needs to be said. Good luck on your build, despite what pete says there is plenty of potential in a Lima engine.

Yeah I don't know anything.
Thats not the problem... The problem is you're over opinionated and have to keep shoving it in people faces. If you read what he was asking for you would see:

gain performance and get some more fuel mileage, but not nothing crazy.
Not everyone is looking to build a race engine. Some people just want to build a little more power/ performance while keeping or improving the fuel economy.

When someone suggests something that you dont agree with, you get on your "I've been doing this longer then you" high horse. But when you suggest something that everyone else doesnt agree with, were all wrong.

Have you noticed that almost every time you post in a thread, there is some kind of conflict?
I dont know why that is, but I'm taking ^ a guess here.

Last edited:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
It's all relative. But you know how much more "power" you will have from a fresh 2.5 compared to a tired 300K 2.5? It will be significant. Case in point . I bought a '90 2.3 Ranger new. I know what a new engine feels like, not a power house at all, but adequate. Some years later I bought an '89 Ranger, again with a 2.3. I just redid the top end of that engine. It had 201K miles on it. It had been running decent, but it was loosing some power compared to a fresh engine. After just the top end rebuild I did, it feels like my '90 did back in 1990. It's amazing. It's like boiling a frog. You put him in cool water, slowly heat it, he'll stay in until his is boiled. You don't notice the gradual degrade in your engine. But when it's new again you'll notice it. Look, all of this is my perspective from a lot of experience with engines and desires and goals for same. I was a kid once and wanted certain things, only to realize later how ignorant I was. When teaching auto, I used to hear crazy stuff from my students mouths. I laughed or smiled and tried to explain why it was not sensible. Sometimes people just have to learn on their own, can't be told or have it explained for them. But I still stand by my suggestions . . Turbo, OEM rebuild or a V. Anything else will be frugal when you look at the cost per benefit. Carry on as you see fit . . . .

BrownC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok i like the 2.5 and i am goin to build it. So what for sure is the best way to gain a lil power not a power house but i can see where pete is coming from but that is not what i want . Ialso want to gain some fuel mileage. I am a diesel mechanic for peterbilt of knoxville so i am goin to do the build my self. I just need some advice on what way to go with this. I have an awesome machine shop that i use for my builds as well. So if i go up in cam to .420 how much bigger than stock is that and if i do then what size inj do i need to use. Sorry so many questions and thanks for the help . This website is awesome.

BrownC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Question will the header for a 2.3 late model ford pinto fit my 2.5

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Thanks for the reply...good to know you can do it yourself so you can save some money...bonus if you get discounts on parts through your work...

From what I've read, the 2.5 header is cast and supposed to flow as well or better than the earlier shorty headers. Only real difference may be a few extra pounds on the later style.

Not sure about the cam lift but you might find the stock configuration in the sticky at the top. Pretty sure there was something there about cams, but haven't read it in a while. The .420 seems about what has been mentioned on here recently but, like I said, those specs are Greek to me...

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 420 lift cam work ok without any tuning or injector upgrade. I think it will work ok with stock valve springs. I know stock springs in the pre 95 heads work ok, not 100% sure if they will be ok in the 2.5 head. Someone on Moddedmustangs dyno'd around 170 crank hp with this cam and a stock bottom end.(with head work and supporting mods) I think stock lift is .380 or something close to that. If you do much head work you will be at the upper limits of the stock 14lb injectors. Any 2.3 header should bolt up to your head, but you will need to modify it to use O2 sensor and egr. The 2.5 manifold is decent, but im sure you would gain a few hp with a good aftermarket one.

Keep in mind that with a longer duration cam your cylinder pressures will be lower, that will cause a loss in efficiency, so make sure you mill the head at least .070 to retain stock cylinder pressures

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals