• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 2.5L engine races when clutch is engaged. very annoying PLEASE HELP

edward2016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
do what you do and do it well
Hello I'm Edward and I recently bought this 98 Ranger. While driving around town, when I press in the clutch to downshift or to stop, the engine revs up real high without even on the throttle. (Probably 3500 4000 RPM) When I come to a stop or press the throttle the truck goes down to an idle. I've seen forums in the past but they really lead to nothing.. Has anyone came up for a fix to this. I would really appreciate. I'm on a tight budget and i don't have money to go around replacing everything I see. I need a one- time fix.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This is one you are not likely to find a silver bullet for on the internet. You need to have your concern properly diagnosed so that it can be fixed correctly.

edward2016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I've tried but when the mechanic drove it of course it didn't do it. It just does it ever so often

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That right there is what I like to call "important information".

Sticky IAC would be my best guess. Grab a can of carb or choke cleaner and spray the IAC out good. That is a cheap place to start.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
You might find flushing the IAC to fix the problem for a while, but many report that the problem comes back after a while. If cleaning fixes it, be prepared to look for a replacement if it starts to hang again.
tom

edward2016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Me and my buddy did that one night last week and when i drove it around town at night for about 15 minutes it never did it.But the next day it did it around town. It even did it yesterday. i honestly give up. something i will have to get used to. thanks for all the suggestions

drb1956

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Engine races

I seem to recall there was a Ford Tech Bulletin on this. Do not remember if there was a "cure". My '99 did this a few times, when I first got it. Has not done this in a while. IAC is a good place to start-take it off to clean. Use a scan tool in the "RUN" mode to see if your TPS is operating correctly. By that, I mean when at idle does the % on the scan tool show a small percentage that it is open, or does it show a bigger number, which would indicate a faulty TPS. Is your throttle cable sticking? Does it return to idle position? Look under the hood to see if its kinked, or bent in a way it won't return to idle. If its OK-try to spray some lube in the cable (awkward at best). Is your floor mat UNDER the pedal, or carpet stuck up under there? Look at sticking throttle plate(take off breather tube)-clean with throttle body cleaner ONLY-NO CARB CLEANER!!! Clean the outside of the throttle body too- that return spring can get really gunked up with dirt and oil residue. And lastly-IS your foot coming OFF of the pedal as you shift and drive??? Hope this is a help? Update when you can...:icon_thumby:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Found the TSB. 98-26-8, PCM recalibration for high idle (1300-2000 RPM) with clutch down.l

drb1956

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Races

Did not take mine in-just did all that I listed in my last thread..Can't remember last time it ran like that. I'm glad someone remembered the TSB-THANKS!!:icon_thumby:

edward2016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Also have cleaned the throttle body. Lubricated both ends of the throttle cable. IAC is clean. Yes I take my foot of the accelerator when I shift lol. It mainly does it on stopping so my foot will actually be on the brake

drb1956

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
reset pcm

Disconnect battery for at least 15 mins-reconnect and let IDLE for 5-10 mins to relearn itself without "past history" in its memory...:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals