• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98-00 vs 01+???? Coil knuckle (spindle) differences

TSR85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m looking specifically for the differences between the 2wd coil knuckles from 98-00 to maybe 01+ as that seems to be the year most lift spindles differentiate.

From what I have gathered so far is that 98-00 are limited to the 10in front brake and has different caliper mounting points than the 01+. The 01+ is when the coil knuckle seems to have gained the 11.25 rotor, but also the ability to do the sport trac 12in, because the caliper mounting points changed?

how about the upper ball joint size between the two versions, the same? I seem to find that the torsion Knuckles have a larger diameter Ball joint shaft?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, some 01+ had larger brakes and different caliper mounting holes as a result.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Some, not all... My 2009 still uses the smaller brakes. I believe the v6 extended cab trucks got the larger rotors.

TSR85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Right it seems the 10in lived on but the caliper carrier bolt pattern changed right?Allowing use of the 10,11 and 12 with the correct caliper?

Basically, I have a 2000 expo 5.0 donor that I’m probably going to just grab the 11in front calipers off at this point and just save, I would like to go sport trac, but I already have these calipers and they are in decent shape.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I’m looking specifically for the differences between the 2wd coil knuckles from 98-00 to maybe 01+ as that seems to be the year most lift spindles differentiate.

From what I have gathered so far is that 98-00 are limited to the 10in front brake and has different caliper mounting points than the 01+. The 01+ is when the coil knuckle seems to have gained the 11.25 rotor, but also the ability to do the sport trac 12in, because the caliper mounting points changed?

how about the upper ball joint size between the two versions, the same? I seem to find that the torsion Knuckles have a larger diameter Ball joint shaft?

no.

brief overview: the 01+ coil knuckles are not as tall as the torsion bar knuckles, and the ball joint stud hole is indeed smaller.
if you change the upper control arm to the larger ball joint torsion bar type it is longer and pushes the top of the knuckle way out.

a 12" 2001 Sport Track rotor will indeed fit on 01+ coil knuckles,,,,BUT,,, there are no FACTORY calipers that fit. the holes need to be 3/8" farther out.
custom brackets and radial mount calipers can be made to work.

the 2001 Sport Track 2WD knuckle (12" rotor + torsion bar) has the same ball joint and tie rod mounting locations as a 4WD 2000 ranger.

01+ coil knuckles have 11.25" rotors. same caliper mounting hole location as the Ranger (and Explorer?) torsion bar knuckles.
until the torsion type changed between 03 and 04 to accommodate 12" rotors, they moved the holes 3/8" out.

NEEDS VERIFICATION: the difference between 98-00 and 01+ may be the caliper bracket, not the knuckle. again this needs verification.
which is what you're asking.

TSR85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
no.

brief overview: the 01+ coil knuckles are not as tall as the torsion bar knuckles, and the ball joint stud hole is indeed smaller.
if you change the upper control arm to the larger ball joint torsion bar type it is longer and pushes the top of the knuckle way out.

a 12" 2001 Sport Track rotor will indeed fit on 01+ coil knuckles,,,,BUT,,, there are no FACTORY calipers that fit. the holes need to be 3/8" farther out.
custom brackets and radial mount calipers can be made to work.

the 2001 Sport Track 2WD knuckle (12" rotor + torsion bar) has the same ball joint and tie rod mounting locations as a 4WD 2000 ranger.

01+ coil knuckles have 11.25" rotors. same caliper mounting hole location as the Ranger (and Explorer?) torsion bar knuckles.
until the torsion type changed between 03 and 04 to accommodate 12" rotors, they moved the holes 3/8" out.

NEEDS VERIFICATION: the difference between 98-00 and 01+ may be the caliper bracket, not the knuckle. again this needs verification.
which is what you're asking.
Awesome, I could not find anything this straight forward, it helps a lot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals