• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'97 XLT 4x4 125k miles

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Back on the tow hooks... I have 2 threaded holes that look like they would be where tow hooks would go probably on an STX. That's got to be the place, right? I'd say it's all set up for them, I just need to get them and screw them in. Unless I'm missing something.
Sounds like it. About the same location to where they are on mine? And is it one right behind the other on both sides? If so, it sounds like you are ready to go. Just make sure the holes are clean and clear and that the threads are in decent shape. It might take some trial and error to find the right bolt size and thread pitch.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Not sure what you mean one right behind the other?
Here is crappy pic but you can see the location towards the left (same position on other side too), that's in that lower opening (not up where the license plate is). Yeah threads look good. I got a sh*tload of all kinds of bolts, will determine the size. I should be able to get OEM or OEM-size tow hooks.
So those what I'd call little tow eyes and the attach points are strong enough to pull and entire truck? It doesn't look like it. But that's me.
I don't see any pics or any mention of tow hooks in the '97 brochure, but looks like it was drilled/threaded for them.
IMG_3034.JPG

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Hey I was mistaken these are not threaded holes it's 3 layers of metal with a hole thru all of them. Looks like threads but it isn't. Sorry.
You could put an eye bolt through it then put a washer and bolt on the back. That would make more sense anyway. Otherwise you're relying on the threads to hold.
You could drill it out bigger if you wanted I suppose.
I wonder am I looking at where tow hooks would/could have gone, or, am I looking at something entirely different like line-up holes etc.
I guess it doesn't matter what the holes were for, the question is whether they are in the right place a) structurally and b) vertical position.
It's really a bit odd that 97 makes no mention of tow hooks and in later models it's prominently mentioned.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
OK so I found the TRS writeup on the tow hooks. Looks like I have to get the fog light valence. I can do that sometime.
What bothers me is, on the 99 I can see wiring hanging down that would have been for fogs that aren't there
on the 97 I see no such wiring. but I'd assume when they do the harnesses they would wire for options even if the options aren't there
what gives? I'd rather not be rewiring stuff.
There is one wire group that goes down off the driver side headlight harness but I can't see where it goes. If in fact that's fogs great but it would have to cross to the passenger side like in the valence or something - I don't see it
?
There's no other way I'd be able to attach them per TRS without hacking up the existing valence and it wouldn't look right either

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Not sure what you mean one right behind the other?
Here is crappy pic but you can see the location towards the left (same position on other side too), that's in that lower opening (not up where the license plate is). Yeah threads look good. I got a sh*tload of all kinds of bolts, will determine the size. I should be able to get OEM or OEM-size tow hooks.
So those what I'd call little tow eyes and the attach points are strong enough to pull and entire truck? It doesn't look like it. But that's me.
I don't see any pics or any mention of tow hooks in the '97 brochure, but looks like it was drilled/threaded for them.
View attachment 84451
I was thinking of an old style of recovery hook that mounts to the frame. I went out to take pictures of how mine is mounted. Your's may mount differently. The frame can be seen in the first picture to the left and under of the loop. Yours should mount with more than just one bolt.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
OK so I found the TRS writeup on the tow hooks. Looks like I have to get the fog light valence. I can do that sometime.
What bothers me is, on the 99 I can see wiring hanging down that would have been for fogs that aren't there
on the 97 I see no such wiring. but I'd assume when they do the harnesses they would wire for options even if the options aren't there
what gives? I'd rather not be rewiring stuff.
There is one wire group that goes down off the driver side headlight harness but I can't see where it goes. If in fact that's fogs great but it would have to cross to the passenger side like in the valence or something - I don't see it
?
There's no other way I'd be able to attach them per TRS without hacking up the existing valence and it wouldn't look right either
I can't help you on the fog lights. I have no idea.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Pretty sure the wiring for fogs is all there. I had bezel off and the switch for it is there, and there are wires coming out of each headlight harness that go down each side of the rad. Looks like they are clipped into a holder there in body struts, not hanging loose like in the 99. Either it is a temp holder for them or I'm looking at something else, but seems to me the only thing it could be.
I have the manuals now so it tells all about how different valences go together.
Actually I like the cleaner look of no fogs. If I ever go to a custom front bumper then I'd add fogs, that wouldn't be very hard if in fact the wiring is all there as one would expect and as I believe I see.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals