• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 up explorers problems?

Junkyardexpress

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
P235/R15
I'm thinking:icon_confused: about getting a 98-99 explorer sport:icon_bounceblue: and was wondering:icon_confused: about any issues :annoyed: and how to prevent them:icon_thumby:

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
I've got a 99 V8 4 door. Most of my problems are either underbody rust or electrical related. When I got it the door locks didn't work, windows didn't operate correctly among others. Replaced a few switches, cleaned a few more out and most of that works pretty good most of the time. Now what's come up is the passenger side door lock isn't working. Again, I think it just needs to be cleaned/replaced with JY parts. Replacing the switches isn't too difficult and probably only cost a few dollars from the JY.

Another, more annoying, problem I have is that the left turn signal turns on sometimes with out even touching the blinker switch. Jiggle the hazard switch and it goes away. I think I just need to replace the multifunction (blinker) lever/switch and all will be well.

I think the previous owner lived on a dirt road a thousand miles from asphault so lots of dust got into the electrical system.

Mechanically, though, it's pretty good. Very few problems mechanically and it has over 223,000 miles on it.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Im about to buy a 99 explorer sport with 77k miles for 3,777.00 I'm trying to get it with tax title and license for that price. I wont pay over 4k. It's red with grey exterior. My tranny went in ranger and I can't find a replacement. So switching over.
I'd assume same problems a 4.0 ranger would have as they are both OHV engines.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 99 V8 4 door. Most of my problems are either underbody rust or electrical related. When I got it the door locks didn't work, windows didn't operate correctly among others. Replaced a few switches, cleaned a few more out and most of that works pretty good most of the time. Now what's come up is the passenger side door lock isn't working. Again, I think it just needs to be cleaned/replaced with JY parts. Replacing the switches isn't too difficult and probably only cost a few dollars from the JY.

Another, more annoying, problem I have is that the left turn signal turns on sometimes with out even touching the blinker switch. Jiggle the hazard switch and it goes away. I think I just need to replace the multifunction (blinker) lever/switch and all will be well.

I think the previous owner lived on a dirt road a thousand miles from asphault so lots of dust got into the electrical system.

Mechanically, though, it's pretty good. Very few problems mechanically and it has over 223,000 miles on it.
I almost pulled the front engine accessory drive off of a 97-01 V8 Explorer... on a whim I checked the milage and was blown away to see the mint body aside from a big hicky in the rear corner only had 203k on it.

I decided to grab the setup off one one with lower milage though...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals