• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 turbo 2.3

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Is the stock radiator & fan good enough to cool a Ranger 2.3, if a turbo is added? I was thinking at least an electric fan, but I'm not seeing a whole lotta options for those

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
intercooler??

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Is the stock radiator & fan good enough to cool a turbo'd 2.3? I was thinking at least an electric fan, but I'm not seeing a whole lotta options for those
I would say yes. I had a 85.5 SVO mustang with the turbo 4 and the radiator was the same as a normal mustang. Those motors are designed for short bursts of power, I doubt it would have time to get hot enough. I was never in full boost for more than a minute and that would be pulling a long hill. I remember the factory manual did not allow towing with the 2.3 turbo, probably for that reason.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Those 2.3s are so over-cooled as it is you'll probably be fine with stock equipment.

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just realized I need to reword this. Right now I just have a standard 2.3l in the Ranger, that I'm planning on adding a turbo to. Yeah I imagine that your SVOs cooling system was adequate, it's probably more suited than a standard Ranger's, I'm guessing. I know there's plenty of others who've done what I'm planning, but I haven't seen much for aftermarket cooling.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I mean, how much do you need? Iirc, the original 2.3 turbo didn't have an intercooler, and the later ones had a crappy top mounted one that wasn't all that great.

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I mean, how much do you need? Iirc, the original 2.3 turbo didn't have an intercooler, and the later ones had a crappy top mounted one that wasn't all that great.
I need to reword this, my engine is not a factory turbo engine

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
It's going to depend on what you're using for a turbo, boost, etc. If you're bolting on a Pad Thai Pounder, Nagasaki Noisy Boi, Wuhan War Whistle, etc, your cooling needs will probably vary from the original Ford turbo.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I updated to a V6 radiator on my turbo 2.3L but the dynamics of the coolant volume make the temperature swing pretty good...

Depending on the application the stock radiator will likely be fine... I've towed with mine (3000lb combined added to normal vehicle weight) over mountain passes and it did fine, just went slow and steady in 4th I think... that was like 10 years ago so I don't remember... I know it was a single axle enclosed trailer with my 350X 3 wheeler in it and some pallets and other camping stuff...

Worst case swap to a V6 radiator or at least auto trans radiator, but on a 2 wheel drive you'll probably be fine anyway...

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It's going to depend on what you're using for a turbo, boost, etc. If you're bolting on a Pad Thai Pounder, Nagasaki Noisy Boi, Wuhan War Whistle, etc, your cooling needs will probably vary from the original Ford turbo.
I forget where that was said, was it Joe Dirt? I've used Flex A Lite fans before, and earlier today saw that they have some models that'd work, if it comes to that. Prolly just run with what it's got to start, we'll see how it goes

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
For the record I'm running a stock fan and clutch without a shroud (blew a radiator at a mud event, changed it in the dark at a friends house in gravel, skipped the shroud for one reason or another, haven't gotten to it yet... and it's a 4.0L shroud anyway so it's not even efficient...), I don't run an intercooler and it pretty much only drives offroad or to offroad stuff which is usually longer or harder than most street use...

I just changed to the big 4.0L radiator because I thought I needed it, I'm running the smaller 4.0L radiator now because it's cheaper (and shallower, that fan clutch spring with low range and axle wrap likes to meet up with the radiators which gets expensive...), it works fine...

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
For the record I'm running a stock fan and clutch without a shroud (blew a radiator at a mud event, changed it in the dark at a friends house in gravel, skipped the shroud for one reason or another, haven't gotten to it yet... and it's a 4.0L shroud anyway so it's not even efficient...), I don't run an intercooler and it pretty much only drives offroad or to offroad stuff which is usually longer or harder than most street use...

I just changed to the big 4.0L radiator because I thought I needed it, I'm running the smaller 4.0L radiator now because it's cheaper (and shallower, that fan clutch spring with low range and axle wrap likes to meet up with the radiators which gets expensive...), it works fine...
Cool, I like to think I won't hammer on it much, but we'll see. It's such a tired old engine right now that it just irritates me. But rebuilt, shouldn't be such a turd, and I should have more patience. Either way, I can't imagine using it more than how it sounds you do, so hell maybe it'll be fine. I'll keep the 4.0 rad in mind if it comes to that

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you're bolting on a Pad Thai Pounder, Nagasaki Noisy Boi, Wuhan War Whistle, etc,
That is bad ass. Can I adopt those or are they proprietary? License fees due? Copyrighted?

may 6:30 am, that s a good read to start the day. Funny as hell.

Pad Thai Pounder——- I envision something from the movie “The Hangover” though.
I can’t stop laughing- no lie-I am crying.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals