• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Supercab Flareside V8 Swap Update Everything and Lowered

Gozi

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P235/75R15
1997 Ford Ranger Supercab XLT Flareside V8 Swap Update Everything and lowered build page. Bought this with the intention of updating everything so I overlooked many of the problems it has. That being said, the truck runs and I want to keep it running and together until I can get a new drivetrain put together. The truck will be a super unleaded, put it in drive street daily driver. So far I have a 5.0 that came out of a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer. The block has been bored .040 over, decked and prepped for build. Intake will be ported and the GTP40 heads will be ported and such with bigger springs and roller rockers. Have to find a 4 speed from a Explorer or Mountaineer and a 8.8 LS 3.73 rear end. Saving up funds for the build gives me time to think of the parts I will be using for the shortblock. Everything in the shortblock will be replaced but need some help with parts. Was thinking about 303 cam but was told to try a newer cam and crank that will work better with the heads I plan to use. Any input will be appreciated, part numbers would be awesome.
*cam
**Cam Thrust Plate - original seems ok
*Crank Shaft
*Piston Rods
*Pistons heads
*Oil Pan Studs
*Oil Pan
*Oil Pump
*Dip Stick
*Oil Pump Shaft - ARP
*One Piece Oil Pan Gasket
*Timing Chain
*Cam Sprocket
*Crank Sprocket
*Timing Chain Cover

20191103_001.jpg20191103_002.jpg20191103_003.jpg20191103_004.jpg20191103_005.jpg20191103_006.jpg20200206_164720.jpg

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Which 303 cam? The E303 has a somewhat choppy idle and is a strong mid range cam, the B303 favors the upper revs more. I've had great luck with Comp cams and they offer a wide selection for the engine. For a street engine, once you pick out the one you like best, buy the next smaller cam. Ford always said not to bore a 302 beyond .030" but I've seen a bunch at .040 with no problems. You lost points calling the truck an extended cab- it's a supercab- but you regained some when you said it's a flareside and not a step side, and a few more by not calling the rear end a "posi".

Gozi

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P235/75R15
Was thinking about going E303. I really didn't want it to be beyond .030 but the shop that did the work said the same thing, that Ford didn't recommend it but they didn't have problems with going .040 over. Before they even started they pointed out it was bad and if it went past .040 they would have to sleeve it and that would no longer be cost effective.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
When RMP in Mass was building Ford reman in the 70's and 80's they sent us dozens of .040 over 302's that didn't cause us problems. Unfortunately by the late 80's their quality had slid so bad that we stopped buying remans and bought low mileage used engines. Now RMP is a FAD( Ford Authorized Distributor) not a FAR( Ford Authorized Rebuilder). Their driver is an obnoxious little jerk but their delivery is dependable.

Gozi

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P235/75R15
When RMP in Mass was building Ford reman in the 70's and 80's they sent us dozens of .040 over 302's that didn't cause us problems. Unfortunately by the late 80's their quality had slid so bad that we stopped buying remans and bought low mileage used engines. Now RMP is a FAD( Ford Authorized Distributor) not a FAR( Ford Authorized Rebuilder). Their driver is an obnoxious little jerk but their delivery is dependable.
Thanks for the info Walt.

CUracing

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a complete 5.0 explorer for sale in the classified if your looking for trans n rear end. I would consider a custom cam, Ed Curtis at FTI did one for my fox, very happy. You don't need a different crank unless the current one as more damage then what can be repaired. If using the explorer front end motor accessories you don't need new timing chain cover. You don't need new rods unless you plan on turbo, super charger or now. I recommend a rollmaster timing chain assembly.

Gozi

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P235/75R15
I have a complete 5.0 explorer for sale in the classified if your looking for trans n rear end. I would consider a custom cam, Ed Curtis at FTI did one for my fox, very happy. You don't need a different crank unless the current one as more damage then what can be repaired. If using the explorer front end motor accessories you don't need new timing chain cover. You don't need new rods unless you plan on turbo, super charger or now. I recommend a rollmaster timing chain assembly.
Thanks for the information CUracing. Not going to be running turbo or super charger so will use original rods. MO might be a little to far to tow a truck to Texas, plus I really have fun looking in junkyards. Again thanks for the information.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals