• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Ranger with 187000 for $3100?

amarotica

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Liter
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone, I got my license a few months ago and am about to get a car, I really like this 97 Ford Ranger XLT crew cab 4.0 4x4 v6 and wondering if it is worth $3100 seeing as it has 187000 miles on it. I think its worth it cause I like working on cars but my parents are skeptical and I would really like some advice on convincing them with some good arguements of you think the truck is good. Thanks for the help!

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Well since I own a 97 Ranger Supercab with the 4.0 and 4x4 with 170,000 on the clock I will say if someone offered 3100 for it I would consider it ...

But I really really like my ranger, so if I were to put it on the market I would ask 4200. But in all honesty my truck is probably only worth 3000

That being said, what is wrong with it? Any rust issues? Everything work on the drive train?

Auto or manual transmission?

Check out mtnrgr's link and give it a good look over and if you aren't sure have a mechanic look at it. You might even be able to get it for 2500.

I have seen many 95-97 Rangers in the junk yard with over 300,000 miles on them so if it was taken care of it will last you. That 4.0 is a pretty decent engine too

AJ

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think you can do better for the money than a truck thats approaching 20 years old and 200k miles.
For a first vehicle, I'd be looking for something newer with fewer miles that will get better mpg, but thats just my boring practical side coming out.

If you're willing and able to work on your own vehicle as problems come up, then it may not be terrible, but you have to be ready to do that when youre buying a high mileage older vehicle. The nice thing about Rangers is that they are pretty simple trucks that are easy to work on, and parts are pretty easy to find.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I gave 3 grand for my 93 4.0 5 spd 4x4 (man hubs and t-case) long bed std cab with 172k on the clock a year ago.

It's spec'd like an Fx4 lvl II...couldn't pass it up. Had pretty much a new cooling system, ac works, etc. Has some issues, but not many. Typical Ranger probs like leaky 3rd brake light, slight clutch disengagement issues...

It's pretty much the Ranger I'd always wanted new in the early 2000's, but more affordable. :)

This girl (since polished and cleaned...they use a lot of salt in TN when it snows. lol)

Attachments

ozzy85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
225/75/15
My credo
Yeah... still here.
I guess it's not that bad of a price... Maybe offer $2500 to start? Ask what maintenance has been done recently.

Rex2nr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got my 99 for a grand. 189k, started dead, needed head gaskets, born, exhaust and parking cables. I think I've put 400, maybe 500 into it including renting a trailer, gas and paying my buddy to tow it home.

Prices in my area were all over the board 1200-4600 depending on condition.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Third gen rangers are higher than heck and getting higher every day.

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hm, I'm feeling better about the value of my truck :)

2009, has 175K on it. Won it in an auction at my work for $800 because the transmission was shot.

So now it has a "new" (used) 45K mile transmission in it, new hubs, new brakes, new shocks, tires & wheels, and a new core support. When I bought it KBB said low book was $5000. I've got about $3500 in it including the price of the truck so I guess I didn't do too bad.

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thoughts about your '97

I'm still abusing my '93 XL with 358K on it now. Towing and overloaded. 4cyl,5spd standard cab. working on an Explorer 8.8 locker with 4.10 gears so I can get taller tires and play more in the mud. No major issues to 300K. Finally had to replace clutch and rear axle finally wore out (overloaded). Original motor &trans. Would go cross country and back and not worry about it. I hear the 4.0L motor is very good to about 300K at least. Would offer $2500 for what you're looking at if it is clean. Trucks from the rust belt do have rust issues, so look hard underneath.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
$3100 is entirely too much to pay for any used vehicle.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Well, I've seen some good points here. The Rat only had 26 K showing when I rescued it from the crusher for 600$ I knew it needed a clutch,1800$ later, I know have a great running 1K$ truck. Talk about mission creep. It has only a 5 digit odometer. That tells me Ford didn't worry much about cars making it past 100K . It is little quirks like this , that endear the heap to me. Hacking old trucks is a hobby to me. I don't depend on it for work. I don't know where you are, but it doesn't really matter. See if you can find a local mechanic who you can pay to do a pre- purchase inspection. Rangers tend to shed structural pieces underneath.

Assuming it gets high marks, I would want to see service records for all the maintenance done to put that many miles on. Then I would start at 2500$. :D

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals