• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Ranger tdi swap

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Well I guess it would be a bad time to tell you that you could have gotten a straight adapter to ykur factory ranger trabs from gatodiesel. Lol.
They also have some parts that will intergrate you vw nicely to the ranger, they are who I am going with for my tdi swap.
Following this thread closely though.
This was started long before he had even started to work on his adapters. I was at least 2 years of slow work before I actually started a thread here.

In other news the truck is somewhat on standby for now until next april. Partly because the emissions testing in my province will be scrapped at that time and partly because I bought a 1st gen cummins. You can see the ranger int he back ground of the 2nd pic

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Now before I got caught up with the dodge I had pulled the engine apart to try to fix a really bad smoke issue. It would smoke nearly all the time. Looked like oil but smelled like burnt diesel. I was thinking it was either worn out or stuck oil rings. I knew the engine had not exactly had a nice life before I bought it and it did sit for 3 years without turning over.

Got it apart and the bores looked damn good. No stuck oil rings but two sticky lower compression rings.
The verdict? probably not the source of smoke.

I re ringed it anyways since it was apart and put new rod bearings in. Cut the pistons as well to help it live with compounds. ( The real motivation behind opening it up)

Before

After

Used a router with a flush trim bit and a 1/8th radius bit. Not exactly precision machine work but this isn't where it needs to be precise, just repeatable.

Sprayed the block with JD green. Really wish I had went with CAT yellow or something else. Trucks gonna look like a Christmas tree when I paint it red...

So yeah, thats about where Its at right now. Gonna get the dodge on the road then drop the engine back in the ranger before winter so its mobile again park it for a good while and just enjoy a few months of winter where I can go sledding without feeling guilty about unfinished projects.

And the best thing? It would appear that when I swapped from a msa15 ecu to a edc15 ecu and switched over the pump top I flipped the two wires going to the advance solenoid...:icon_confused: If I had caught that first I probably wouldn't have had to tear apart the engine.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
hmmmmm

cummins....

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Im just gonna drop this here,

Tape measure says Cummins will fit in a ranger if you move the rad in front of the core support...

Camonlykyle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 s10
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Transmission
Manual
Can I get more info on your adapter plate you made I'm very interested I need the same one

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Sure, I'll have to go digging for the drawing. Send me a PM if I haven't got back to you in a week or two.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals