• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'97 Ranger paint color similar in rattle can? Manual and power window doors the same?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have a '97 Ranger that I got cheap, previous owner was a ditz and replaced the drivers door with a white one, the rest of the rig is the kinda candy red, don't know if there were more than one red in '97... Anywho, going to the junkyard in a couple weeks to hopefully find a red door with a door panel (how that ended up missing I don't know, didn't think to ask for some reason) among a whole list of small things. If I can't find a door, are there any rattle cans that are similar color?

If I got a door that had a power window (currently has manual) could I either just put power and ground to the door wires or swap in the manual regulator? I imagine swapping the geartrain is a pain but doable, and as long as most of the circuitry is in the door just wiring it up should be simple enough, at most it might take a relay or two.

Ok, I'll stop rambling, thanks for any help.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I flipped a red 94 Ranger years ago... I had some touch up paint to do and I had a local paint store mix the paint and put it in rattle cans. It wasn't cheap... but it worked good enough. Not sure it would be good enough for an entire door though.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Check Duplicolor paints at your local auto parts store. Paint code is on the door jam sticker. I recently bought some spray cans of "dark toreador red" for my 97 F150. It's a match.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've had very good luck with Duplicolor from auto parts stores matching. I used rattle cans on my windshield visor and on the replacement passenger door and tailgate on my 1998. They matched beautifully.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Perfect, that's the color mine is I think... it's not the plain red that the fleet models are but the fancier version...

Next real step is to get the mouse nest smell out of the dang thing, it STINKS, has to be in the dash or carpet, maybe next weekend I'll be able to pull the seats/carpet to get a start and pressure wash the carpet...

If I start daily driving the thing and go to work with a white door I will get heckled endlessly. I'm a cheap ass but get paid enough that they think better of me... :)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Got it figured out, was at the junkyard anyway and found a door, it's from a '94 but same color, have it bolted up and working now, just have to change the lock cylinder and door latch so the dome light will work...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mice can come in through the vents also, I cleaned a nest out of my 93's. Putting it back together I covered the openings with screen wire

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, mouse smell is next on the list, gonna start by pulling the blower motor (haven't even tried the blower partially for that reason) which conveniently is easier on something with this few options, it's kinda a pain on the 5.0L explorers... I do have a spare resistor pack that I bought before I realized the ETAC uses a speed control... then I'll pull the glove box and get in there further, I know there's all sorts of nooks and crannies that they can get into in there, there's a dead mouse with just a tail sticking out of my wife's dash on the passenger side, it's a hard area to get to to get the remains out...

Carpet is pretty clean, vacuumed it today, wasn't much there. The thing was parked in a field for 6 months so was easy pickins for mice...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals