• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'97 Ranger I beam replacement

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Might be picking up a '97 4x2 Ranger for a daily driver tomorrow, they somehow bent the drivers side I beam I'm guessing from yanking it out of a ditch from the looks of it.

Haven't paid much attention to I beam trucks over the years but I know '97's sometimes got some different things than other years brake wise (4 wheel ABS I think?). Are there going to be any surprises when I go junkyarding looking for a beam year wise? Should be simple compared to working on TTB's so that part doesn't worry me... just didn't know if ball joints and spindles changed over the years where it matters.

Didn't see any better areas to put this question... not offroad, not brake related and not technically steering so general axle area it was :). Heck, I even looked in the tech area to see if there was anything...

Thanks for any tips.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The I beams have probably changed since the one I had. They were on a 73 Econoline E300 1 ton van. I pulled those down in around mid 80s, but they were solid I beams then(I doubt you'd have bent one pulling it out of a ditch without the use of a sherman tank) Even with that in mind it wasn't too difficult to release the springs with a jack and take it all apart. I took the spindles to a shop who installed new kingpin bushings, and put it all back together myself. With the I beams free it was also easy enough to put both radius arm bushings in which I did then too.
There's been a lot of time and possible changes elapsed since then so it's just my "for what it's worth"

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The F/E series switched from forged to stamped sometime in the 80s (82 IIRC) and around that time also switched to ball joints from king pins.

Scott, i believe with rangers a beam is a beam but id stay up around 94+ to be sure. 97 was the last year for I beams but hell you may be able to go back clear to 83, but im not sure.

If it were me id strip the old one down to the bare spindle, save the stuff, then slide it on the replacement beam.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
For the record I was right... he got stuck in a ditch and his dad hooked a chain to the middle of the drivers side beam and just went for it... it's like 1/4" shorter on the drivers side beam... rides odd since the beam is hitting the engine crossmember...

It's still on the trailer, I drug it home, it is in too good of shape to have passed on, ran like a top and has almost 100k less than anything else I have...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Scott, i believe with rangers a beam is a beam but id stay up around 94+ to be sure. 97 was the last year for I beams but hell you may be able to go back clear to 83, but im not sure.
83-88 the ball joints were in the beam.

89-97, the ball joints were in the knuckle.

There may be more changes as the years went on

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
There is a brake upgrade for pre-95 models that require changing to 95-97 I-beams. So unless you want to downgrade your brakes stick with 95-97 I-beams.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I believe the I-beams are the same, it is the spindles that are different.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that's exactly why I asked, I thought there was something different but couldn't remember if it was beams or spindles... my guess is spindles just like the Dana 35 brake upgrades (well, same difference really, that one is full outer replacement...)

Maybe I'll get it off the trailer this week, will probably take a couple 15mm wrenches/sockets and toe it in by eyeball so it drives somewhat reasonable first though...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I haven't touched the thing in a while, but it was decent weather tonight so I toed it in... I had to go until the tie rod end bottomed out to get it there, now it's just cambered way out of spec...

It does have two piston calipers, I think it tore the drivers side brake line in the event...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals