• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Ranger Fog Lights Keep Burning Up

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
On my 97 with fog lights, this thing burns up the H3 bulbs like crazy. I'm wondering if this is a common/known issue and expected, or if it's because I have aftermarket fog light housings. When I bought my truck, the glass housings were busted so I bought a pair off ebay. It seems like water is getting in the housings or something, because they are super rusty inside even though they're not that old. It's frustrating though, because I rarely use my fog lights but when I need them it seems like one or both of them won't work, I replace the bulbs and it's good until I need them again lol. Again, is this just a known issue? Or should I spend the money on some better housings?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I've replaced a few factory fog lights... they take a beating down there. I'm sure mine were when driving the freeway. Seems I've replaced a few bulbs too... but I used mine pretty much all the time.

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
With the temp a halogen bulb reaches, any water will likely shatter them instantly. I would try led bulbs, just because they don't have a filament to break. But yes i would definitely fix the water issue first...

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
You making sure to not touch the bulb on install?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Are the H3 bulbs you're using 55W or 100W?

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
I have had great experiences with H3 bulbs in housing that's are well sealed from outside forces.

BillinVA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I am on my third set of OEM fogs. I have never had to replace a bulb until the glass would crack or break. What bulbs are you using. I have found Silverstars to have a very short life in headlights, and also in the H3 versions. However, their quality control is good as they will burn out within 2-3 days of each other. They (and any blue tinted bulbs) are not worth it in my mind. Those lamps are too small for 100W bulbs. They will make the lens too hot to touch and might cause a heat crack if hit by icy water. Small lights for 100W bulbs usually are far better built.
The OEM fogs are not the best sealed lights. I found that running a bead of free flowing, penetrating silicon sealer around the seam where the glass lens meets the metal reflector goes a long way. One of my fogs lost a lensed due to moisture compromising the bond. Also, I have found even a brand new set can have a badly placed bulb sealing boot. In fact, one off-brand 'replacement' did not even have boots. I have kept all the old lamps for spare parts. BTW, Ford Mustang fogs from the same period interchange, but you need to splice in the Ranger plug from the old light.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals