• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 OHV 4.0l

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I know we have some members in the Central PA area. Any of you know a decent junk yard that may have a 97 OHV 4.0l? I am looking to pick one up to do a complete tear down and rebuild in prep to throw it in the wife's truck?

When I say a complete rebuild that is exactly what I intend on doing. reuse block and head castings, crank and rods. Everything else will most likely get replaced. Also what years are interchangeable? I have the link to the 4.0l rebuild and differences between years. I plan on doing the rebuild so I can just roll the wife into the garage and do a quick motor swap. she has had an on going rear main leak, the leak is not bad every few days it will leave an oil drop in the garage and the wife is having a fit about it. So to calm her down and make it easier on me then trying to do a rear main on a time crunch I figure a replacement motor would be a better idea.

The wife splash only has 86k miles on it currently, had the lower intake off yesterday and it is seemed pretty clean inside and runs great.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1997 was the year they changed from a 6 bolt crank to 8 bolt for flywheel/flexplate.
The OHV 8 bolt crank is the same one that is in the 4.0l SOHC, '97 is the year the SOHC came out :)

So I would look for '97-'00 4.0l OHV, or make sure you get the flywheel/flexplate with the older engine.

The older you go the more you will find since the Explorer used the 4.0l OHV until '96, they were switched to 4.0l SOHC in the '97 model year, but I think early '97 had OHV
Ford Aerostar also used the 4.0l OHV '90-'97
And the B-4000 Mazda trucks as well

Call any Ford wrecking yard and they can locate a few for you, locater software they use is pretty slick, if it's out there they will find it.
Reads like you just need the long block

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking for a complete versus a long block to save the time of putting Valve covers and everything on it before dropping it in. She loves the truck and has driven it since 97. I have offered to get her something new several times but she is not interested in swapping the truck out. I actually brought it up about a month ago when we were in the market for a Wrangler Rubicon with an auto to replace my 6spd manual Rubicon. She lost her mind at the suggestion of replacing her truck. So I ended up trading in my Rubicon and getting an auto she can use in really bad snow. ( the ranger does great but is way to light in the back end even with 600 pounds of sand in the bed over the rear axel. The Wranglers have come a long way and with all the electronic stability programming and traction control the things are super smooth in bad weather.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals