• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 F250 diesel - discovery and build thread.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Only difference between 250/350 is the rear springs and GVW on that year iirc.

I could be wrong.

I often am.
Thats basically true of any gen F series.

Plus the 350 offered the DRW and the 250 didnt.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Its definitely a Heinz 57.

Amber front signals are 99-01
Only 4wd's had the front foglights
Tail lamps and tailgate are off a newer truck.
The sharper edges above the wheel arches make me think the bed may off a newer truck (but with white it is hard to tell)
DS fender and I assume hood are off a later truck as well (judging by the badge)

So he had at least two donors involved. :icon_thumby:

White will be easy to match, some puff can action and it will look much less ugly really quick.
The bed/tails/tailgate are off a 2011+

I think amber markers were used with sealed beams through 03.

I dont think its mix matched to bad

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Congrats!

Damn thing is a mile long lol.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I forgot about the 2" vs 4" block, that's how I lowered the back of my F350 by 2" (one of the previous owners put in a 4" lift kit, pulling the overload off the front axle only dropped that about an inch so it sits goofy but it drives fine... With the camper I wanted to lower the COG and to just fit 35" tires it didn't really need any lift... for whatever reason it had like 6" longer sway bar end links in the rear so I replaced those with factory length last year... wish it had a front sway bar...

The bowl reseal is pretty much just two short hoses between the bowl and the fuel pump and a few O rings if memory serves... I think I got the kit from riffraff or something...
IT should have a front swaybar, that was standard on all models, the rear swaybar was an option.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Well, the mismatched bed makes sense. I noticed when I got fuel yesterday, that the fuel lid is really long and There's an extra hole inside where the DEF filler neck would mount.

Speaking of fuel, I filled up to the top today. Bought almost 3/4 of a tank. See photo below. So, how big is the tank on this thing? I'm guessing somewhere between 38 and 40 gallons. Didn't get an owners manual. Going to have to order some books.

20230603_130406.jpg

Last edited:

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
IT should have a front swaybar, that was standard on all models, the rear swaybar was an option.
Oh it left the factory with one, but was missing by the time I got it... it's had a life... at least 3 owners, first was a foreman rig for something or other then some guy living in the outskirts of town, someone put a lift on it the expensive way with all springs and a drop plate for the track bar and spacing the carrier bearing down with some square tubing... but at 350k+ miles it's seen some things...

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
And I must revise my "no rust" statements. I keep forgetting that there is some rust and flaking paint on the roof. That's the only place. That should make a good Saturday project with some sand paper and rattle cans.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Well, the mismatched bed makes sense. I noticed when I got fuel yesterday, that the fuel lid is really long and There's an extra hole inside where the DEF filler neck would mount.

Speaking of fuel, I filled up to the top today. Bought almost 3/4 of a tank. See photo below. So, how big is the tank on this thing? I'm guessing somewhere between 38 and 40 gallons. Didn't get an owners manual. Going to have to order some books.

View attachment 93344
I believe they have a 40 gallon tank

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I believe they have a 40 gallon tank
That’s the biggest thing I miss about daily driving a full size truck. The larger file capacity. I think had about 36 gallons between the two tanks.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Dad got a newer “take off” bed for his 05 superduty, I wanted to put a fake cap on the def hole next to the gas and label it blinker fluid for my mom. I dont think she ever drove it though. He still has that one but its a rusty mess, was a lease truck for a landscaper and plowed snow every winter. His current one is a ‘13. the front ends just get uglier the newer they get. Both are 5.4 gas. He had a bad experience with a new F250 diesel in ‘86 and swore off oil burner pickups since then, about swore off the ford brand. He has always had a small suv as a runner to save miles /fuel with the trucks when a truck wasnt really needed. Had S-blazers for years then despite being a hater of chrysler products started getting used jeep grand cherokees. They just took delivery of a brand new one a month ago. He turns 77 this year and buys a 70k suv? Just seems crazy, I believe the warranty will outlast him.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Had S-blazers for years then despite being a hater of chrysler products started getting used jeep grand cherokees. They just took delivery of a brand new one a month ago. He turns 77 this year and buys a 70k suv? Just seems crazy, I believe the warranty will outlast him.
It’s a Jeep… he’ll make good use of that warranty.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Ok. I changed the title of the thread and I'm just going to keep going with this saga. I didn't buy a truck. I bought a puzzle/ challenge/ mystery/ adventure/ bucket of fun.

So, I did some cleaning of the front interior. Nothing fancy. Just going over the dash, door handles, armrests, steering wheel, etc. Just so it doesn't feel gross when I'm in there. I topped off the power steering (a little too much. That's going to make a mess), brake reservoir, coolant and checked the oil, finally. Yup it has plenty and it's black like diesels usually are after a few miles.

Put in a $200 order at Rock Auto for air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, new ignition and door lock cylinders (only one key and its "wore slap out"), and some other miscellaneous stuff. Ordered a cam position sensor since everyone was telling me that's a common thing. I'll just keep it handy.

Tonight, after dinner, I went out to tinker around with it. Decided to start moving stuff over from the Fun50. Pulled out my CB radio, Ram ball mount for the phone and bracket for the gmrs radio. Carried those over to the ship and sat there trying to figure out where and how to mount this stuff. I also want to put my good Tekonsha trailer brake controller in there instead of the El cheapo one that it already has. That's when the fun began. There was a rocker switch/fuse/cigar lighter power outlet thing mounted down low on the dash. Not connected electrically. Looked for screws and discovered that it was velcroed on with adhesive backed velcro. Rip. It's gone.

Next, I unmounted the cheap trailer brake controller. The wiring looked ugly because they had wrapped it with electrical tape that is old and was unraveling. I removed the lower valance from the dash so I could unplug the controller. That went OK. But the electrical rats nest that fell out of the dash is a source of entertainment. I'll just post the pictures and caption each one now.

Fuel pump?!? If this truck has an electric fuel pump, Ford would have put it's fuse and relay out in the engine bay. Is this a bad repair? Or was there, at some time in history, an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed of this truck with an electric pump to transfer fuel?
20230604_194017.jpg

WTF? The brake controller was wired into the OEM trailer brake harness. There should be no need for this foolishness. Note the tag says 10amp max. But the fuse is a 25. These are wired into the light gray relay on the left.
20230604_194121.jpg

Found the fuse for the mystery fuel pump. Note; I suspect that a lot of this leads to abandoned wiring. But fuses are still installed. Yikes!
20230604_194143.jpg

Just an overall view.
20230604_194158.jpg

What is this toggle switch for? Double pole, double throw switch wired to speaker wire going "somewhere".
20230604_194403.jpg

Ok. The speaker wire travels under the carpet to the passenger side and through the firewall. I also discovered a red wire and black wire here that go through the firewall. The black is somewhat grounded by the screw to the left. The Red is cut and ends here.
20230604_195930.jpg

Out in the engine bay, the speaker wire traveled toward the passenger headlight area and ended. Here, over on the driver side inner fender area, we find the origin of the red wire. Note the exposed splice. Remember the other end was cut and laying jnder the carpet in the passenger footwell. Fuse is installed here. This is tapped into a fairly large wire.
20230604_195708.jpg

Enough electrical. This view shows where I have a fuel leak. I sprayed most of a can of brake cleaner on this stuff earlier. Maybe I'll see where it starts getting wet and dirty again. I know the black round thing is the fuel filter bowl assembly. Not sure what anything else is, yet. That rectangular thing between the fuel bowl and coolant hose is something fuel related. Brand new alternator lower right corner.
20230604_200122.jpg

So, I'm beginning to think my adventures with this truck might be worthy of some videos in the "how-to" section of my YouTube channel. Somebody may benefit later. Even though it's not an RBV, the principles of going through a vehicle like this and exploring/repairing/restoring, etc. Apply to any vehicle. Newbies could maybe learn from this, if I do it right.

I'm still happy with my purchase. This kind of stuff is to be expected when you buy an older vehicle that has had a hard life. The fact that it's running strong and doesn’t seem to need anything more major than a set of tires is all positive in my book.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals