• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'97 F-150 Available engines?

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Just wondering if anyone knows what motors were available in the older '97 F-150? Been eye-balling one I want to buy but its just the base XL package and I can't remember if you could get the V8s in the XL or if Ford would make you step up to the next trim package to get it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think you could get anything, 5.4's are not as common in '97's as the '98+ trucks though.

Options would be 4.2L V6, 4.6 V8 and 5.4 V8.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I think you could get anything, 5.4's are not as common in '97's as the '98+ trucks though.

Options would be 4.2L V6, 4.6 V8 and 5.4 V8.
Interesting you mention that. Do you know if the 5.4 is a late 1997 addition? I was looking up fluid type for my differential yesterday, and I noticed my manual only has specs for the 4.2 and 4.6 motors - no 5.4 info listed. My truck was manufactured in 6/96, so it's one of the first 97's made.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Interesting you mention that. Do you know if the 5.4 is a late 1997 addition? I was looking up fluid type for my differential yesterday, and I noticed my manual only has specs for the 4.2 and 4.6 motors - no 5.4 info listed. My truck was manufactured in 6/96, so it's one of the first 97's made.
Actually I had that typed at first but since I wasn't for sure that was the case I changed it. Hard to tell if it was limited availablity or just a late entry, but you pretty much solved that. :icon_thumby:

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
I couldn't figure out if the 5.4 was part of the '97 model year or not either, wikipedia articles suggest that the 5.4 was available in '97 but I can't seem to find any examples of it, and we all know how reliable wikipedia can be...

Anywho, going to go and look at it close-up tonight. Even if it has the 4.2, hell thats good enough for me. The Ranger decided to implode another slave cylinder last week, and I'm getting tired of the disassembly/fix/reassembly cycle every six or seven months. This time it nearly got me injured, stupid thing went out with no warning while I was driving. Just can't seem to get a handle on whats causing it to do that, so its getting gutted.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I couldn't figure out if the 5.4 was part of the '97 model year or not either, wikipedia articles suggest that the 5.4 was available in '97 but I can't seem to find any examples of it, and we all know how reliable wikipedia can be...

Anywho, going to go and look at it close-up tonight. Even if it has the 4.2, hell thats good enough for me. The Ranger decided to implode another slave cylinder last week, and I'm getting tired of the disassembly/fix/reassembly cycle every six or seven months. This time it nearly got me injured, stupid thing went out with no warning while I was driving. Just can't seem to get a handle on whats causing it to do that, so its getting gutted.
Well, here's maybe another twist I thought of. My Father-in-Law had the F250 version (same body, etc.) with the 5.4 engine. I don't recall the month, but I know it was an earlier truck. I almost wonder if it started as an F250 only motor, and then they moved it into the F150. I also know for sure there were F150's with the 5.4 in 97 because I test drove one.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Since we're on the topic of the early modulars, didn't they have a problem with spitting spark plugs out of the heads?

backwoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dunno about that, but they had a serious problem with spark plugs
seizing to the head, and exhaust manifolds rusting out.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Since we're on the topic of the early modulars, didn't they have a problem with spitting spark plugs out of the heads?
Yes, but the 4.6 wasn't as bad as the 5.4 was. I read recently that it was believed that there weren't enough threads on the original spark plugs. The newer plugs that have more threads. Here's a comparison.

This is what the factory plug looked like (these are no longer made)

This is the new style:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just recently got a 2004 f-150 with the 5.4. I got it cheap because of motor problems. In my research the early model 5.4's, up to '03/04 had a bad head design in that there wasn't enough threads in the head to hold the spark-plugs in. in '04 they redesigned the head with more threads for the spark-plugs. And I guess also redesigned the spark-plugs too as your pics show.
My problem is with the cam phasers. If the motor doesn't have too low of oil pressure I may be able to get the phasers fixed for about 2500.00. otherwise it's recomended to replace the motor....6000.00 and up.
But I only paid 1000.

Richard

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dunno about that, but they had a serious problem with spark plugs
seizing to the head, and exhaust manifolds rusting out.
04+ 3v mods have a really long reach spark plug, the extended part was crimped onto the nut part. Carbon would form between the extended part and the head and stick them in there and they would twist off the nut. The updated plug is all one piece.

The exhaust studs get that weird steel vs aluminum corrosion and combined with the different expansion rates of cast iron and aluminum they break and cause exhaust leaks. Not really common for the manifold itself to break... they do but to a certain degree any cast iron manifold can.

The 97-03 5.4's catch a lot of flack about plugs blowing out, I have 94k on my '02 and knocking on wood I haven't had a problem. It stems from a lack of threads in the cylinder head, nothing to do with the plug. Later heads have more threads which is probably what spurred the plug with more threads.

Usually it is the phasers that go out of the 04+ 5.4's, a couple grand if you don't want to do it yourself and an all around big PITA and it is all fixed up. :icon_thumby:

Personally I would rather worry about the plugs blowing out (which IMO the internet has blown way out of proportion) than both the plugs breaking off at service AND the cam phasers screwing up. I have resigned myself from buying a new truck until the 5.0's prove themselves. In theory they have both improved (and much simplified) phasers and the one piece plug... but I want to see how they stand the test of time and for them to age into my price range. :D

I found my "Ford F-150 Pickup 1997-2005" book and looked up when the 5.4 became available, it says fall of '96.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Good info. Was this the PI heads that received the extra threads?

Sent while I should be doing something else

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good info. Was this the PI heads that received the extra threads?
No, it happend in '03 ('04 was the last year of the 2v in the Superduty and I think they are still going in Econolines)

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Well, I won't have to worry about plug issues or anything of that sort. I suspected that the truck had the 4.2L V6 in it, and as it turns out, it does. I was a little iffy on that, but I drove it around for a half hour and found that the 4.2L is a bit heartier than I thought it was, so no complaints there. Don't know much about these Essex V6's but I can't recall anything being too wonky about them.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Don't know much about these Essex V6's but I can't recall anything being too wonky about them.
The Essex engines are powerful, but they have their issues.

The 3.8L warps head.

The 4.2L grenades the bottom end.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals