• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 explorer in an 01 3.0

Rangerdan2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90, 93, 96, 99,
Make / Model
Fords and a Tri
Engine Size
all
Transmission
Manual
I have read many many articles on the explorer swap. I just want to know how to get around the Ranger's PATS system with the 97 explorer computer? Do I have to use a SCT tuner or something of the sort? Or do I go find another set up from a newer explorer?

I also have a brand new Ford Motorsports harness and distributer, I was going to do the swap in my old truck before I got hit. Would it be better to pull the coil packs drop in the distributor and get a mustang computer?

Can PATS be bypassed somehow?

Last edited:

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The 97 Ex was not originally equipped with PATS so the 97 Ex PCM does not need it to start and run the engine. So, using the 97 PCM, you wouldn't be able to have PATS whether you wanted it or not. You would have to do minor rewiring to the starter relay but that's about it. In the 2001 Ranger setup, the relay's DARK BLUE/ORANGE wire is grounded by the PCM when PATS says it's OK to start. To make the relay work with the 97 Ex PCM, the DB/OR must go directly to chassis ground instead. You can use the factory 2001 Ranger keys you have now or use non PATS keys cut to the same pattern.

The 97 Explorer uses a 30~40 PSI return fuel system and the 2001 3.0 Ranger is setup with either a 55 or 65 PSI returnless system. This would have to be converted from returnless (single fuel supply to the fuel rail) to return fuel (supply and return lines) in order for it to work with the 97 PCM and FP regulator.

You would also have to set up another way for the speedometer to get its corrected signal after the 2001 PCM is removed. This could be done a few different ways but an aftermarket speed conversion box would probably be the easiest.

Rangerdan2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90, 93, 96, 99,
Make / Model
Fords and a Tri
Engine Size
all
Transmission
Manual
I read about the GEM module to run the speedo. I am using a 5spd M5odr2 out of a 99 F150, it has an OSS like the 01 Ranger, will this work or does it still have to relay the signal through the PCM, which will not know what it is?
Thank you very much, for your help!
Dan

V8 Level II

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The 97 Ex PCM needs the VSS input as an end user but it is not set up to be the speed conversion module like the 2001 is. It cannot be used to interpret the raw VSS for the speedometer.

The RABS GEM method can work using the rear axle ABS signal. If it needs to be calibrated for tire diameter, a dealer tool is required.

A universal aftermarket conversion box should work with either the trans OSS or the rear axle ABS signal. It is also easier to wire, user programmable for tire size/axle ratio and cheaper than a new GEM.

Rangerdan2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90, 93, 96, 99,
Make / Model
Fords and a Tri
Engine Size
all
Transmission
Manual
After market conversion box such as what?

Also, I take it, using the Explorer engine/harness will be a better choice than using the FMS harness and a Mustang computer/engine? I am asking because I have both in my garage and eventually I will be doing performance upgrades, for now I am starting with the E303 cam, I have laying around.

V8 Level II

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
There are several. I haven't tried it myself but I've heard good things about this one: SpeedChanger II

You could go either way with the engine controls. The FMS harness and Mustang PCM would probably be the better choice if you want to run a distributor. If you're staying with the Explorer coilpacks, you need the Explorer PCM and harness.

Compared to other 5.0's, the Explorer V8 has a more compact accessory drive/water pump/front cover. The Ex parts will fit better in the 98+ Ranger's tight engine bay which is nearly identical to the 95~2001 Explorer.

Rangerdan2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90, 93, 96, 99,
Make / Model
Fords and a Tri
Engine Size
all
Transmission
Manual
I could swap the accs off the explorer engine over to the stang. I know as far as adding performance parts the Mustang with the FMS harness is best. This is my first EFI project and I am trying to go with option that offers simplest wiring (at least on the first one)
If the Explorer harness/engine is a more simple wire-up then I should choose that for the first EFI project.

Thanks again!!!

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Buy a Harwood manual (www.harwoodperformance.com) and the wiring gets very simple. (for the Mustang harness)
That's my recommendation.

Rangerdan2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90, 93, 96, 99,
Make / Model
Fords and a Tri
Engine Size
all
Transmission
Manual
I saw that Harwood had instructions for using the FMS harness, but he only goes up to 99. I would hate to spend the $25, just to find out mine was different.

Thank you
Dan

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
If you have an EVTM for your year, you could usde the Harwood, and compare the Ranger pins.

Like, if it says "connect Mustang harness pin 5 (Harwood#, not circuit #) T/Y (tach signal) to Ranger pin 2 in C124M (T/Y, tach signal)" you can verify in your EVTM that pin 2 in C124M is in fact the tach signal.
If your Ranger has tach signal in Pin 42 of C124M, you connect it there. So how much fun this is! lol!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I saw that Harwood had instructions for using the FMS harness, but he only goes up to 99. I would hate to spend the $25, just to find out mine was different.

Thank you
Dan
Check his site again, he does have the one needed for the 2000.
Dave

Rangerdan2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90, 93, 96, 99,
Make / Model
Fords and a Tri
Engine Size
all
Transmission
Manual
My truck is an 01, from what I gather there is a substantial difference in wiring.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals