• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 exploder 5.0 into a 89 ex-cab 4x4 build

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok guys so My 2.9 is on its last bit of life, no oil to the heads. So I got a 97 explorer with a 5.0 auto with the awd transfer "already sold". I have some questions now I don't have the explorer in my hands yet. First will the 1354 transfer case bolt to the auto trans that mated the awd in the explorer? Next I looked around and didn't find much on these two models as far as swaps with a 2 inch BL I shouldn't have body clearance issues right?

I'm thinking as far as the motor it should just about bolt right in with stock exhaust manifolds right? I plan on electric fans and using the rad from the explorer. Now Fuel what should I used for a fuel pump aftermarket or factory? I am going to rebuild the 5.0 as it has a spun main "we think" but im going to portmatch the heads and intake and work over the valve pockets. Cam stock or????? I was thinking a B E or F303 but there all made for cars really not something turning 35inch tires thinking maybe custom grind Comp any ideas? Last for now back to the trans my ranger is a 5speed any good idea on a auto shift system, maybe try and swap the whole steering column? I will add pictures and updates as I get things done.:word:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Your going to run into problems with the computer setup from the explorer...I'll go in order of your questions...the 54 will not bolt directly to the 4R70W (explorer trans), you will have to either get an adapter kit , both expensive and complicated and require taking your trans to a shop and having them install the new output shaft, use the 4405 AWD case, Dana 20 from an EB, or 1356, but the 56 will have clearance issues with your frame...The only body clearance issues you will have will be with your valve cover hitting your AC box, mods will need to be made, firewall massaging may or may not be an issue, depending on your location of the engine, 3" BL is best, but can be done without...As far as bolting right in, you will need different motor mounts, I used 71 truck mounts, but you can also use 87-93 mustang convertible mounts....Factory fuel pump will work, explorer rad will not fit, get a 4.0L rad from a similar year truck as yours...Now for the computer problems, the explorer ECU does not like a lot of changes/mods, like aftermarket cams, and it is also going to need wiring into the cab as it is a OBD2 system, your best bet is to use a mustang harness, and if your set on using the 4R70W, you will need a trans controller, like one from Baumann, or grab a C4, or AOD if you need overdrive...If you grab a steering column from the same year truck as yours (89-94) you can use the shifter from those years...P&P can be done, but unless you go with a mustang ECU/harness, I'd stay close to stock numbers cam...Hope this helps
SVT

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmmm, back to the thought board. Notes 71 truck motor mounts, c4/205/203 maybe now then. Something im not sure about is if I use the explorer computer will I have troubles with the auto trans swap and I take it other then the bolt pattern the spline count is diff. so that brings up another question what transfercase do the part time v-8 explorers use?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
V8 explorer never came with a part time tcase, they only had a full time, single speed tcase. You can use it as a part time case by unlocking your front hubs, but your front dshaft will still turn, and you will only have one speed, no low range. The output spline count is 32, which most if not all ford V8 transmissions use this spline count and bolt pattern. There were a few rare different bolt patterns, but for the most part, all popular trans and tcase swaps are interchangeable. The explorer ECU will through codes left and right trying to search for the transmisssion return signals, and might even limit throttle response and/or engine performance because of it.
SVT

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Where are you located?? My trans just started slipping real bad, so I'm doin my V8 swap ahead of schedule, however, the donor vehicle I was getting ready to get was a 2000, meaning I would have to use the dash wiring harness as well, which is more than I want to do at this time....However, to help both of us out, I want to use the setup you have and it can work for my application, and I have something that can work for your application. I have the computer and engine wiring harness from an 89 mustang HO that had a 5 speed, which means you can run any trans you want and it won't mess with the computer...what would you want for your donor??
SVT

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya that was my bad on the thinking the v-8s had part time when it was just the 4.0 ones. But im in Tulsa, Ok. lil ways from Tn. But I found some info over on the explorer forums of the guys taking the 4406 case out of the 150's but are still having probs with the vss. To give you some info about me I have use of a full machine shop some fabing some parts is no big deal. I also want to try and keep this somewhat simple. I have a 205 case sitting in my way in the garage along with a spare 1354e with everthing but the shaft for a doubler. I also have a buddy that said he has a 203 to sell me to make a doubler for the 205.

So many options lol only thing I am set on it having the injected v-8. I would like auto but a 4 or 5 speed would still get me out playing. I looks like if I keep it pretty much stock the explorer stuff will work good for me but I would like a cam and maybe a turbo down the road as im a turbo freak so the mustang stuff would be better maybe but with either one im going to have to get it tuned and chipped so maybe the explorer stuff might be fine cause with a custom tune the explorer stuff will like the port job and cam ugh so much for simple right..... till next time I think I have babbled enough

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I'm a turbo guy myself, I have 6 turbos laying around my garage for a couple of turbo projects....I plan on puttin twins on my V8 thats going into the ranger...I'm half tempted to make the drive, as I really want that setup, but I'm limited to the years I can work with (96-97) unless I want to do some serious surgery...Guess I'm going the AOD route for now...BTW the 205 will bolt right up to the 4R70W, and should fit inside the framerails....the 4406 is very close to the 1356, few differences as far as dimensions go...if you have a lot of lift you can make a clocking ring and you would be ok...IIRC you only have to clear the framerail about 1/4 to 1/2 inch...you can clock 3-5 degrees down it will clear the framerail...
SVT

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Well, if you are wanting to keep it simple, the mustang ECU setup would be the way to go, if you don't know, an unlimited number of mods can be done with minimal tuning needing to be done with the A9L...Would you be interested in doing some swapping/trading?? I'll be willing to drive to you. I'm after a completely stock looking setup, hence the reason why I'm wanting to go with the explorer setup....2nd Gen ranger owners have had best results using the mustang electrical, don't know of any using the explorer electrical for Gen 2, so you'd be the first...I'll be following and helping if you need it!!
SVT

Last edited:

MAV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Where are you guys finding donor vehicles? I keep searching the classified ads in the state paper, and checking Craigslist all the time, but I can't find a V8 Explorer for sale for less than $1000 anywhere!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Where are you guys finding donor vehicles? I keep searching the classified ads in the state paper, and checking Craigslist all the time, but I can't find a V8 Explorer for sale for less than $1000 anywhere!
I get mine at my local JY's
SVT

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What's wrong with spending $1000 on what I assume is the complete Explorer? Depending on the miles and shape it's in, everything would also be there for the swap. There was just an Explorer 5.0 on E-Bay a week or two ago that only had 60K miles on it (looked really clean) that went for over $900. Count your blessings.
Dave

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
SVT to tell you about my donor I got it from a guy that was going to take it and build a crawler but he changed his mind I guess when he got he jeep with the rockwells and 44s.
Ok back to the explorer as far as I know its pretty much complete, other the the 8.8 and transfer case. The motor has a spun bearing on either a main or rod, the intake got pulled off but I have it in my garage the intake that is. I haven't had a chance to get out and look at the explorer in person but if you really want it and have everything I would need I might trade ya. shoot me a pm or something and see what we can work out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals