• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Base Radio To Premium Swap?

97shitbox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello all, wasn’t sure how to word the title but I’ll get into it. I’ve just gotten a ‘97 ranger with a cassette and cd player radio and pulled it out cause it wasn’t working. Looking at the connectors in the dash it’s two long 90 degree connectors I assume for a base cassette only radio. The current radio has two square connectors. There’s also an adapter for both original connectors that go to an 18 pin for an aftermarket unit but I can’t find anything on that. I guess my main question is does anyone know of an adapter harness to make the current radio work? Or would it be worth it to get the correct radio for the plugs? Maybe just aftermarket? I don’t enjoy wiring diagrams :ROFLMAO: Thanks for any help and sorry if this has been asked before I haven’t found much of anything from my googling o_O

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i would go to an aftermarket versus putting a stock one in. my truck came with the 6 speaker set up and the radio had a cd player in it so i assume it was a higher level one. it started losing volume on its own so i just put an aftermarket pioneer in and have been great since then. i got the radio and the adapter kit, plus the mounting kit at walmart because i don't use all those weird carplay android deals, i just listen to the radio.

my kids always want to hook their phones and all that junk and we have bought the radios and mounting/adapter kits from different places with no issues though. lots of people like crutchfield too because you can search by vehicle

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Are you saying the radio in it is aftermarket?

If you look at the '97 brochure (TRS) it gives all the options for the different models. The shop manual gives the various wiring diagrams, you said you're not interested in that so you might want to have it installed by someone.

I'd assume dash wiring would have been universal to fit any of the available oem units, not specific to any one of them, others would know better than me.

I have the radio w/ cassette in mine with the CD changer. For hooking up phone, there's a cassette with a wire coming out of it, maybe not high tech, but works (to get sound from the phone).

Sometimes Best Buy has specials with free installs. Lot of guys here have swapped stuff out.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would use 3rd party radio and its wiring kit for 1997 Ranger

97shitbox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are you saying the radio in it is aftermarket?

If you look at the '97 brochure (TRS) it gives all the options for the different models. The shop manual gives the various wiring diagrams, you said you're not interested in that so you might want to have it installed by someone.

I'd assume dash wiring would have been universal to fit any of the available oem units, not specific to any one of them, others would know better than me.

I have the radio w/ cassette in mine with the CD changer. For hooking up phone, there's a cassette with a wire coming out of it, maybe not high tech, but works (to get sound from the phone).

Sometimes Best Buy has specials with free installs. Lot of guys here have swapped stuff out.
Sorry the radio that’s currently in it is OEM which has the optional cd player, it’s just not the right one for the connectors the truck has. It’s got some adapters connected to the factory connectors for an aftermarket unit that wasn’t with the truck for some reason. I’ll go with a 3rd party one like the others mentioned seeing as the correct oem radio is triple the price of a Bluetooth unit. Looking at the brochure it also looks like the it has the wrong seats in it as well..

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
If the seats are nice and in good shape maybe you keep them?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
thats what i would do. my 04 has nice looking but hard as a rock seats.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ranger wiring diagrams here, so you know what factory wiring you have now

two 8 pin connectors
or
one 8 pin and one 16 pin

97shitbox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ranger wiring diagrams here, so you know what factory wiring you have now

two 8 pin connectors
or
one 8 pin and one 16 pin
Looks like I have the two 8 pin connectors. I see now the radio that was put in was made in 2001. I’ve found some adapters on Amazon and eBay that may be worth a shot.

thats what i would do. my 04 has nice looking but hard as a rock seats.
Mine don’t look too bad but aren’t very comfortable but looking at pricing of the 60/40 seats I think I’ll hold on to them lol

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1997 won't have it but Ford added a MUTE WIRE for radios in 1998 and up, red/black wire
It has 12v when key is in START.....................ONLY while in START, this would MUTE the radio when starting
People often think it is a 12v wire to power radio, so twist it together with the other 12v power wire
When they turn on the key.....................starter motor activates, lol, OOPS

1997 and earlier the ignition switch cuts the 12v to most systems when key is turned to START, so radio turned off, as did most electrical devices in the cab
As more "modules" were added cutting the power in START wasn't a good idea, so they added the MUTE in 1998

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
If you can get buckets in good shape do that, they are super comfortable. You'd want the center console as well.
Probably hard to find since they were a lot less common than bench seats, I think.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals