• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 B2300 Coolant Temp Sensor

rocky61201

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Manual
I've went thru 2 failed attempts at the local parts store (wrong thread size). Anybody know the correct part # and source for the coolant temp sender right next to the intake manifold on the back of the motor? (This is the 1 wire hook-up that supposedly sends the signal to the gauge on the dash. 1997 B2300

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

rocky61201

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Manual
Now you have me second guessing myself, lol. No plastic connector. This is the threaded stud push on 1 wire connector. I'm gonna work on it tomorrow so I'll take a pic and post it. FWIW it's on the cylinder head right next too the intake manifold runner so I assumed it was water temp. I'm aware of the two sensors on the water passage pipe at the front of the motor.

I recently pulled the motor and replaced all gaskets/timing belt, etc. and got the motor back in. The temp gauge never worked so I assumed it was a bad sender and I tossed it when I pulled the motor. Wish I hung on to it so I could have measured the thread size.

rocky61201

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Manual
OK, here is a pic. I took a better look at the hole this time. It is an oil passage and the wire is red with a white stripe. So i got a new oil pressure sensor and screwed right in. The ensuing story is how this started. It should make you laugh. This is my 19yo son's first car, 97 B2300 I picked up for $1,700 bucks.

#1 - he called me in the morning and truck is running really bad and won't maintain an idle. I told him to limp it home.
#2 - next day I pulled the codes and it was just the MAF sensor. By chance I pulled the dipstick and it was bone dry. WTF!!! Called it a day and went home.
#3 - That night my son and his friend (they act like Bill and Ted's excellent adventure when they are together) decided the motor is bad and they're gonna do a V8 swap!!! Proceeded to pull EVERYTHING off the motor and get ready to pull it.
#4 - I show up the next day and WTF???? Ok, deep breaths. We're at the point of no return so might as well pull the motor and pull the pan so I can check the bearings, rods, cylinders, etc. Everything looks good. Those LIMA motors can take a beating, lol.
#5 - OK retards start cleaning the engine bay and everything else so I can eat off it. I'll start ordering stuff and replace all gaskets, seals, timing belt, clutch, MAF sensor and the other usual stuff.
#6 - Fast forward two weeks and today we got everything back together and it fires up on the first pull.
#7 - About 2 seconds later I yell SHUT IT DOWN, SHUT IT DOWN!!!!. FORGOT TO PUT ON THE OIL FILTER!!! And now nothing is clean anymore, lol.

Called it a day. Went home and back at it tomorrow.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Jeeze, what a few days

Yes the oil switch/sender is in the head
temp sender is lower and in the block, looks like it has a hex plug in it blocking it off

rocky61201

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Manual
Jeeze, what a few days

Yes the oil switch/sender is in the head
temp sender is lower and in the block, looks like it has a hex plug in it blocking it off
Yea, there is a hex plug there. Gonna leave as is because I don't have a wire in that area to connect anything. The temp gauge never worked. So eventually I'll replace those sensors.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals