• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 b2300 2.3l 5spd 2x4 ext cab - no power in hot weather

roc129

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
My 97 b2300 2.3l 5 spd has no power when it's really hot like 85 degrees. Starting from a red light it is dog slow. Doesn't matter if a/c is on or off.
A friend of mine has a 97 ranger 2.3l 5 spd and it has the same issue. Is this a common problem and is there something I can do to make it better? I did install a K & N cold air intake and helped a little.

dfratus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 95 b2300 and it is going to burn up the clutch before long because it lacks the huevos to just go from complete stop. I tend to not completely stop at intersections so I can get going easier. It kinda seems like a timing problem. I'm looking for info on checking the crankshaft position sensor and came across your post. Good luck to us both...

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My 97 b2300 2.3l 5 spd has no power when it's really hot like 85 degrees. Starting from a red light it is dog slow. Doesn't matter if a/c is on or off.
A friend of mine has a 97 ranger 2.3l 5 spd and it has the same issue. Is this a common problem and is there something I can do to make it better? I did install a K & N cold air intake and helped a little.
You might find a scan tool, and check the data stream. Could be a number of things.
It'd be most suspicious of the coolant temp and intake air temp sensors.

SRich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3 EFI
Transmission
Manual
I have had the same problem with power. I do not have a/c. I fixed part of the low end power problem by removing the intake baffle. If you remove the solid plastic section in the middle of the intake hose you will find a baffle that can be removed by tapping it out from the opposite end. I also replaced my coil packs, removed my heated air intake at the filter box and put a K&N air filter in. I am towing 1800 lb most days of the week at temps of 90-100 for most of the summer. These mods have helped with my towing significantly. For cooling I am running water mixed with Hyper-lube Super Cool which has dropped my engine temps.

HAPPY+RANGER+GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3 LIMA
Transmission
Manual
get it moving

A friend of mine has a 97 ranger 2.3l 5 spd and it has the same issue.
Do you know what the gearing (ratio) is in the rearend? This can make a difference in how the truck accelerates. If you take a look at the axle code inside the drivers door...this will translate to indicate the gearing out of the factory. Go here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

Do the tires roll freely...you don't have a brake dragging do you? Keep those tires inflated and the rolling resistance will be reduced also.

Make sure to keep the fuel filter (air filter too) changed on schedule and clean the throttle body and maf once in a while. Overall, just keep it tuned up with decent plugs and wires etc...

The 2.3 isn't a super sport so don't expect miracles in the acceleration department. Get involved with the turbo group if interested in pepping it up a bit.

roc129

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Well, after many years of putting up with the no power when hot outside I believe I have solved the problem by replacing the EGR Pressure Feedback Sensor. If you replace it you might want to order the two hoses that connect to it. Mine were bonded to the sensor and crumbled when I tried to twist them to get them off. Hey, they are 25 years old, so I would expect this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals