• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 2wd leveling kit?

Troyv2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l Ford Range
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey all! I have a 1997 2.3l 2wd. So im kinda dumb when it comes to lifts and all that which is why I posted this, but I do hav mechanical knowledge in general lol! Anyways, my ranger being a 2wd and stock sits like its nose diving. I would like the front tjust to be level with the back so it sits straight. Ive looked at tons of other posts on here about the same thing but just end up scratching my head when I get to the bottom. I thought of just getting like a 2 inch lift coil springs and sticking it on there? Keep in mind I don't want to jack it sky hight, just level with the back, not too much. I helped my dad do the same thing with his f250, we just got some old 1 ton coil springs and put them on it and it sat maybe 3 or 4 inches higher. So my ultimate question is that if I get the new springs am I going to have to change any of the steering stuff or shocks or anything (because I have little knowladge of that, never messed with it before)?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
To level the truck? You shouldn't need to change anything. You might need to get an alignment but that should be about it. Just keep in mind that if you plan to do a lot of hauling, leveling your truck will make it look like the rear is sagging when your bed is loaded. There might be some leveling kits in the forum store to look at and some how to's in the article section for you as well.

Troyv2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l Ford Range
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Maybe I'm using the wrong words. I don't know if its "leveling" or just evening out lol here's what I mean by nose diving. I added a picture. It may be kinda hard to see but anyways the front sits lower than the back. Mainly I just want it to kinda have the stance of a 4wd because I got this truck for free when my uncle passed they gave it to me, I'm 15 and can't afford a 4wd, ive been working my butt off for a year now saving for a new dirtbike lol. I'm trying to keep the truck as cheap as possible for now.

Attachments

Troyv2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l Ford Range
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Also in the future I plan on getting 15inch rims to replace those 14s. (They're different in the picture because I'm in the midst of swapping the rims/tires off of the white ranger behind my red one because they're a tiny bit bigger lol) if I can get it evened out could I fit 31s? Ive seen a Bunches of pictures of them fitting on completly stock suspension but being kinda tight, would they fit good if I had the front at the same height as the back?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Leveling is the right wording. The rake (front sitting lower than the back) looks normal for a stock factory truck. Some people prefer the leveled look over the factory rake. It's a personal thing and I'm not trying to dissuade from doing it. I'm just letting you know the ins and outs of what to expect if you decide to level it. The load rating for a RWD truck isn't large to begin with when the truck is new. With the springs having some age on them now, it's going to be a bit more exaggerated.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Also in the future I plan on getting 15inch rims to replace those 14s. (They're different in the picture because I'm in the midst of swapping the rims/tires off of the white ranger behind my red one because they're a tiny bit bigger lol) if I can get it evened out could I fit 31s? Ive seen a Bunches of pictures of them fitting on completely stock suspension but being kinda tight, would they fit good if I had the front at the same height as the back?
I don't think you'll be able to do 31's. I had to lift my truck a bit to get them to properly fit on mine. I would definitely check the tech section on that. There will be a section on what fits what year and configuration. You might be able to do 30's, maybe. 235/75/R15 might be the max.

Troyv2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l Ford Range
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Right. Yeah i mean I don't plan on using it as like a work truck or anything involving hualing. I use mine and dads dodge for work when I work with him in construction. Its mainly for in town, for fun. To get from home to school to my mom's house and so on. I just like the looks xD. I would really like to get a 96 12valve dodge and that's gonna be my main truck lol. Yeah, I was kinda wondering still on the tires, I love the big beefy tires on anything lol but Im fine with 30s or even kinda smaller, I just think it looks funny with like a foot of space all around the wheel wells with the currents😂. So if I were to get an alignment that would pull it up maybe like 1.5 to what maybe 2 inches? Idk how much lol. For sure my uncle didn't take good care of it. He had like 14 cats and him and everything he owned r e e k e d so when I got the truck I tore the entire interior out and heavily cleaned all of it. But yeah definitely the springs have wear on them.. at this point if an alignment will fix the front end lower than the back just as much as springs will all it depends on now is whichever is cheaper lol

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I see you from Arkansas. What part? I'm from and have family in Monticello.

Troyv2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l Ford Range
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I see you from Arkansas. What part? I'm from and have family in Monticello.
My dad and my sister and I live in scottsville. By Dover and Hector

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
My dad and my sister and I live in scottsville. By Dover and Hector
I'm not familiar with that area. But still nice to see someone from my home state. Good luck with your Ranger and getting it to where you want it.

Troyv2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l Ford Range
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks! Its really a cool truck! Means a lot coming from my uncle. Won't be for sale until I'm gone lol😂

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
A smaller tire size can be compensated some with tire style. A good looking set of mud or all-terrain tires in a smaller size can go a long way if you can't run 30 or 31's.

I went from this

to this

Troyv2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l Ford Range
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yeahhh. I assume you mean like I could run smaller tires but have like big bulky treads and have the same look? I never thought of that but seems like a good idea lol. I looking for pictures right now, but I don't really see any. Could you maybe put some links? Thank ya! On the topic of springs. I read in one post that supposedly I could steal the springs off of an F-150 from around the same year? If that's the case, we have an old f250 that's a 98. I don't know if those would work or not

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yes, a smaller tire with a block tread is what I meant or a more aggressive all-terrain.

As far as the springs, I have no idea. The truck above has torsion bars, so completely different. My 2019 is too new to do an real monkeying with it yet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals