• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 2.3 clutch bleeding

3ncrypt3d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, just replaced the slave cylinder, hydraulic line, and the clutch/flywheel in my truck. Now for the life of me, I can’t get the clutch to disengage enough to shift into gear at all. I did the method listed on this site of gravity bleeding it, and I tried that. Fluid is coming out fine, no bubbles. I can see the slave moving, but it’s only moving about a 1/2 inch, maybe a little bit less. This is my first clutch install, and I’m pretty sure I did everything correctly. Novice question, but can you install the pressure plate backwards too? I don’t remember seeing a front/back on the plate. I installed it with the completely flat side forwards the flywheel, and the raised side to the rear. If anyone could give me bleeding tips, or correct me if I did anything wrong it would be greatly appreciated.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I do not see how you could install a pressure plate backwards. You'd have to be a special kind of special to manage it, which means someone somewhere probably has accomplished it.

There is a U in the hydraulic line where air gets trapped. The only good way I have found to bleed these lines from dry is with the slave cylinder above the master, which usually means bleeding before installing. I am betting you didn't do that.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also check your Clutch kit parts

Rangers need a Self adjusting pressure plate(SAC), because there is no external adjustment.

If you install a regular pressure plate, cheaper, then it will be hard to disengage the NEW thick clutch disc, then as the clutch disc wears down it will get easier and clutch will disengage and engage higher and higher in pedal travel until disc gets too thin and it starts to slip

The SAC pressure plate keeps pedal in the middle of its travel throughout the life of the clutch disc.
So look at the parts you got to see "what you got"
SAC pressure plate has springs around the back side, picture here: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/G422DCl_2ew/maxresdefault.jpg

Regular pressure plate will not have those 3 springs in that picture

And yes as adsm08 said it could be air in the master or line, if you have self adjusting pressure plate

3ncrypt3d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I do not see how you could install a pressure plate backwards. You'd have to be a special kind of special to manage it, which means someone somewhere probably has accomplished it.

There is a U in the hydraulic line where air gets trapped. The only good way I have found to bleed these lines from dry is with the slave cylinder above the master, which usually means bleeding before installing. I am betting you didn't do that.

That’s what I figured. Just wanting to check all my bases. No, I didn’t bleed it outside. I didn’t even think of that. I’ll try moving line around to try and break loose some air.

Also check your Clutch kit parts

Rangers need a Self adjusting pressure plate(SAC), because there is no external adjustment.

If you install a regular pressure plate, cheaper, then it will be hard to disengage the NEW thick clutch disc, then as the clutch disc wears down it will get easier and clutch will disengage and engage higher and higher in pedal travel until disc gets too thin and it starts to slip

The SAC pressure plate keeps pedal in the middle of its travel throughout the life of the clutch disc.
So look at the parts you got to see "what you got"
SAC pressure plate has springs around the back side, picture here: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/G422DCl_2ew/maxresdefault.jpg

Regular pressure plate will not have those 3 springs in that picture

And yes as adsm08 said it could be air in the master or line, if you have self adjusting pressure plate
Yep, it’s a self adjusting one. Is there a way to bleed the master without taking everything back apart?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Yes. Unbolt it from the firewall and partially invert it. You should be able to find instructions for the procedure by searching the site. It's been discussed a few times over the years.

3ncrypt3d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes. Unbolt it from the firewall and partially invert it. You should be able to find instructions for the procedure by searching the site. It's been discussed a few times over the years.

Tried that, and it did help. But, I still couldn't get the clutch to fully disengage. I found some old electric vacuum pumps, and rigged it to one of those single person brake bleeder kits. That pulled out a ton of air, and that seems to have fixed my issues. So my personal opinion, gravity bleed it and then use a vacuum pump. Thanks for all the help!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Tried that, and it did help. But, I still couldn't get the clutch to fully disengage. I found some old electric vacuum pumps, and rigged it to one of those single person brake bleeder kits. That pulled out a ton of air, and that seems to have fixed my issues. So my personal opinion, gravity bleed it and then use a vacuum pump. Thanks for all the help!
30 years... 7 Pontiacs with hydraulic clutches.. one of the worst of all time set ups was the front MC and rear SC on Fiero. If only.... they made this for that! And the cost at Rock Auto (supports TRS also) was not much different than the components bought separately!

http://www.amsautomotive.com/pre-filled-hydraulic-systems

We did transmission swap in my current and 2nd ranger. I can't yell loud enough how much aggravation a pre bled set up saved me!:icon_bounceblue:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Another trick that's saved me time in the past and does work, even though it sounds stupid... clutch pedal to the floor, slip your foot off... several times... this pulls the air out of the system... A Vacuum pump is much cooler though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals