• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97-03 F150 Intake Mod - not ricer

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Sorry if you read this on post on my F150 thread, I thought it might get more views here.

I was doing some reading on these things (in a quest for better mpg's) and came across a very interesting mod. The factory intake has a snorkel thing on it with a diameter of maybe 2 inches. The mod is to remove that restriction and add a 3 inch piece on there. So, I used a 3 inch rubber coupling, and a piece of 3 inch PVC pipe, about 3.5 inches long.

Note: I know this will work on the 4.6 and the 5.4, but I'm not sure on the 4.2 V6.

Here's the factory unit

Comparison with the new piece, you can see the extreme difference in size

I had to use about 1 inch of the factory snorkel to get a secure clamp, I failed to take a photo of it. But basically, I cut an inch off and it's under the clamp on the coupling.

I also had to taper the end of the PVC to fit it into the hole in the fender well

Showing the fit into the fender well

Project complete

I will report back with more info. I filled it up right before I did the mod. I got a measly 13.5 mpg last tank =(.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I will add that this works better with the the bigger air filter housing, I dont remember if it is the later ones or the 5.4 ones though. :annoyed:

I will post a pic later, on my '02 5.4 the inlet side of the air filter housing was really close to the same size as the 3" pipe.

I did it four years ago, didn't really notice much if any difference. To do it right you are supposed to disconnect the battery and flip the lights on to completely drain the computer settings. Resetting the adaptive strategy messes up your perceptions of before/after because they turn into a dog in between until you get it recalibrated for you... by which time you lost the feeling of what it was like before.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I didnt know the later trucks' housings were different. Mine has a manufacture date if 6/96. Maybe thats why i had to cut a piece off the snorkel to fit it properly? I didnt know I had to unhook the battery - guess I better do that tomorrow.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nope it must have been an early to late thing, I am going to guess it was the 98 to 99 facelift (also when they went to PI heads)

I was at U-Pull-It and I noticed there was a 97-98 Expedition with the 5.4 and it had the small snorkel... I grabbed the pretty throttlebody cover off it (It has the "Triton 5.4L" in color)

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Thanks for posting those pics, is that your truck or your Brothers? I guess I need to look for a later housing then. I don't feel much difference down low, but up top it feels like it's breathing a lot better. I might actually get worse gas mileage this go around because I keep dropping the hammer to feel it. :D

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is mine, my brother just went with an aftermarket CAI. He left the fenderside of his stock air filter housing as a heat shield, intake temps run similar to mine (5-10 degres above ambiant)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals