• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 Ranger windshield replacement

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had the windshield replaced on my 96 ranger and the installer did a less than acceptable job with the rubber trim gasket. The gasket is a two piece part that is adhered together at the two bottom corners and one of the corners came unglued and separated. Everything else with the install is well done. Its a PGW windshield and the installer tells me the trim gasket comes pre installed on the windshield and he will have to remove the windshield and install another one in order to fix it.

I know nothing about how a windshield is installed on a 96 ranger. Can anyone tell me if what the installer is telling me is true? I don't want another windshield installed but I would like the trim gasket which is there for looks to actually look good.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Looks like you can get the molding separate. Google
Ford (F37Z-1003144-A)

But if he has to take the windshield back out, he may be figuring on it cracking in that process, so just order another complete assembly to be safe. I have only messed with the earlier windshields. The factory used a thick double sided sticky tape on those.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
He told me that the PGW window comes with the gasket intalled already. It was explained like it has a U-channel that fits over the glass and then the glass with gasket gets glued into the opening - one operation. I'm trying to balance getting a cosmetic issue that only looks bad with who knows what I'll get if I ask him to fix it.

What holds the OEM Ford gasket in? I found the same part number but no details anywhere on how its installed.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would assume it's installed just like the PGW. If we assume that, then the window will have to be pulled out, the old gasket peeled off and then the new one installed and then the whole thing glued in again. Unless someone knows different, I bet the Ford part works just like the aftermarket unless you have clips that hold the Ford gasket after the install operation, which I doubt.

That is how the old system works, glass is glued into place and then the trim has pins spot welded around the window where clips slide in to hold the trim in place.

Can you get some black weatherstrip adhesive from the store and glue the trim back in place? You put this stuff on both surfaces, let it dry, and then press it together.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks.

I'm trying to figure out if the guy is lying to me or not. I have no idea how the PGW is installed and I would rather not rely on the guy who is going to have to eat about $300 in cost for the truth That's why I asked here about it. He might be being straight with me but I have no way of knowing. PGW is basically a PPG window. PPG formed a separate division and then spun it off. They are excellent quality windows.

I can fix the gasket gap myself but it will look like crap. The gasket is pulled apart and has a 1/4" gap at the drivers side bottom corner and its not budging. It is also not covering a part of the body that is meant to be covered (a little pocket at the bottom of the window that fills with dust and dirt). I can fill the gap and pocket with sealant but like I said it will look like crap. This a nearly pristine garage kept XLT from the deep south - no rust, low miles, beautifully maintained mechanically. Everything works. It would be hard to find one this old that looks as good. Everything works.

I had a 25 year old v70 volvo that looked like crap inside and out and this problem on that car wouldn't phase me a bit. But the ranger is nearly perfect and my dad gave it to me - that's why it bugs me.

KevinJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I know this is a little late, but I just had my windshield removed for a paint job on my 94 Ranger. The guy who removed it told me the same thing. The gasket or trim is preinstalled on the windshield and will be on the new glass when he brings it back for reinstalling.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Was anything wrong with the old windshield?

KevinJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
No, the glass guy even mentioned that the glass was still good, but that it didn't matter because the rubber trim came with the glass. He didn't break the glass taking it out either, so I have a "spare" now.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
No, the glass guy even mentioned that the glass was still good, but that it didn't matter because the rubber trim came with the glass. He didn't break the glass taking it out either, so I have a "spare" now.
I am curious how this works if you could look at it. Is it because the rubber is just not available by itself, or there is something going on where the rubber is "molded" to the glass?
You said you "have a spare now" but do you really? If you broke the glass you have now, could you take the rubber off that glass and put it on your spare and put it back in the truck?

This is just for my information, I have a earlier truck.

KevinJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I was not serious about having a spare. The rubber trim appears to be glued onto the glass. I suppose that theoretically you could remove that existing rubber trim (scraping, razor blade,chemicals?) and glue a new one on (if you can get it separately). Then you could install it as a new one. I had a lot of the old trim that I had to remove from the metal channel on the truck(wire wheel on a drill) to allow for the installation of the new windshield.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. I guess like everything else they keep experimenting with it. In the old days it was the rubber that held the glass to the vehicle. Then they got away from that and used gooey double sided tape. Then they went to glue, and now I guess they are using a combo of glue and rubber.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A cousin of mine rebuilt old cars and trucks into show quality, I saw some there that were museum.
I heard them talking about removing windshields with a piano wire and wondered if that might still be possible

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
A cousin of mine rebuilt old cars and trucks into show quality, I saw some there that were museum.
I heard them talking about removing windshields with a piano wire and wondered if that might still be possible
Or a guitar string. I have tried it and broke the string about halfway through. There are a bunch of different tools out there to do it - knives, air tools, something similar to a sawzall, and induction heaters that melt the urethane. The junkyard I worked at had an induction heater and that thing was slick.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Every ranger windshield I've bought, the gasket came with it, but was not already on the glass, and yes the glass will need removed to install it. Not sure if hes lying, it very well could have been installed on the glass already, BUT, you can replace it.

And any professional glass guy can remove an unbroken windshield without breaking it. Sure theres a risk, but I've watched hundreds of windshields get pulled and very very rarely do they break.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals