• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 Ranger Replacement Brake/Hydraulic Lines with 4WABS?

skiwithjohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 Ranger with 4.0L engine and 4 wheel ABS. The brake/hydraulic line from the ABS module to the left front (drivers side) brake hose has rusted through. The other two brake/hydraulic lines are in bad shape with rust, too, but they are not leaking - yet. These lines all have a built in section of braided stainless flex hose on the stock lines.

Does anyone know if there is a company (or person) who makes prefabbed/prebent lines as direct replacements for these lines? Are those small braided stainless sections required for some reason with the 4 wheel ABS or are they simply to give the lines a little flexibility? Can I simply buy some brake/hydraulic line tubing and make my own lines even though they would not have that braided stainless hose section in them and still have a fully functioning 4 wheel ABS? if so, what size tubing? What fitting sizes for the ABS module end of the lines and the ends by the brake caliper hoses?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the flex portion of the lines is for movement between the body/ABS unit and the frame/hard line mount.
in the days of old several loops of tubing accomplished the task.

skiwithjohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you. I was able to find a NOS Ford brake line for my one that has a rust hole in it. I ordered that one and will use it as a reference to get the correct connectors and see exactly what tubing flair is used on each end to make replacements for the other two lines that are heavily rusted. I will add a couple loops to the lines I put together to accommodate the flexing.

the flex portion of the lines is for movement between the body/ABS unit and the frame/hard line mount.
in the days of old several loops of tubing accomplished the task.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals