96 Ranger Replacement Brake/Hydraulic Lines with 4WABS?

skiwithjohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 Ranger with 4.0L engine and 4 wheel ABS. The brake/hydraulic line from the ABS module to the left front (drivers side) brake hose has rusted through. The other two brake/hydraulic lines are in bad shape with rust, too, but they are not leaking - yet. These lines all have a built in section of braided stainless flex hose on the stock lines.

Does anyone know if there is a company (or person) who makes prefabbed/prebent lines as direct replacements for these lines? Are those small braided stainless sections required for some reason with the 4 wheel ABS or are they simply to give the lines a little flexibility? Can I simply buy some brake/hydraulic line tubing and make my own lines even though they would not have that braided stainless hose section in them and still have a fully functioning 4 wheel ABS? if so, what size tubing? What fitting sizes for the ABS module end of the lines and the ends by the brake caliper hoses?

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 32B05A80BF19AF Expires: July 1st, 2020

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
My credo
get outta my way, I'm falling!
the flex portion of the lines is for movement between the body/ABS unit and the frame/hard line mount.
in the days of old several loops of tubing accomplished the task.

skiwithjohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you. I was able to find a NOS Ford brake line for my one that has a rust hole in it. I ordered that one and will use it as a reference to get the correct connectors and see exactly what tubing flair is used on each end to make replacements for the other two lines that are heavily rusted. I will add a couple loops to the lines I put together to accommodate the flexing.

the flex portion of the lines is for movement between the body/ABS unit and the frame/hard line mount.
in the days of old several loops of tubing accomplished the task.