• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 Ranger..No crank..I turn key...I hear click

dwil4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So all I get is a click everytime I turn the key but if I go out and stick a screwdriver to the 2 contacts on the solenoid relay or whatever it's called that is mounted on the inside of the driver fender then it will crank.. The truck has been sitting for probably 3 yrs and before that I remember it seemed that it had gotten to where you had to press the clutch pedal really hard in order for it to crank. If I hold the key in the turned position press and depress the clutch it will just click everytime as well. Sometimes the interior bell will continue to "ding" even when you take the key out.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Clean contacts/grounds and espicially around the cluuch safety switch

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
what rusty said.

check the cables for corrosion in the battery cables, and make sure all the cables are tight. you might need to replace the solenoid itself too, but my gut says your neutral safety switch on your clutch is either out of adjustment or going bad from what you described.

AJ

dwil4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just put a new battery in it Sunday and the cables are pretty clean. Where is the neutral safety switch locted?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I just put a new battery in it Sunday and the cables are pretty clean. Where is the neutral safety switch locted?
Yours is actually a clutch switch since you have a manual transmission. So it would be on the clutch pedal assembly.

I wouldn't rule that out, since you say you have to push the clutch down hard to hear the "click". However, if the click you are hearing is the starter relay, then the clutch switch must be making contact when you push it hard enough. That tells me that, since the starter works when you short across the terminals, the internal contacts in the starter relay are not functioning. So you probably need a new starter relay. Also, when checking cables for corrosion and to make sure they are connected tight, the connections at the starter and where the negative connects to the engine block should also be checked.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When my clutch switch died it did nothing when I tried to start it. It is just a simple switch, it either makes contact or it doesn't and there is only one wire that excites the starter relay so it isn't like it can only engage it halfway.

IMO if you get power to the relay when you turn the key and it just clicks but it will start when you jump the relay... I kinda question the relay.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That is the starter relay. The starter solenoid is built into the starter itself. If the starter works reliably every time you short across the 2 big terminals on the starter relay and the relay clicks when you turn the key, then the starter relay should be your priblem.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So this is what I'm calling the solenoid. Is this what you all are speaking of as well? Think I should start by replacing that? Or by relay do you mean a plug in the fuse box?
Yup. They can get corroded inside so they don't make contact if they sit for awhile.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In a 1996 Ranger an anti-theft system was optional and it had a Starter Interrupt Relay, which you would hear "click" in the cab if activated
Jumping at starter relay in engine bay would by-pass that

Diagram of that below
You needed to also have Keyless Entry(fobs) to have this, but it was an added option on top of keyless entry

On the starter relay in the engine bay is a red/blue wire connected to the smaller "S" post on this relay
Unplug this wire and put a test light or volt meter on it and to Battery negative, turn key to START, you should see 12volts(light) if the activation circuit is working
If you don't then either the clutch switch is bad OR the alarm is activated

Attachments

Last edited:

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
When my clutch switch died it did nothing when I tried to start it. It is just a simple switch, it either makes contact or it doesn't and there is only one wire that excites the starter relay so it isn't like it can only engage it halfway.

IMO if you get power to the relay when you turn the key and it just clicks but it will start when you jump the relay... I kinda question the relay.
I rather By pass the switch By sodering a jumper wire. The problem is If you get a new person driving your crap. and its in Reverse or first gear truck could take off. But most of us put on the emergency brake and that dose not happen.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I rather By pass the switch By sodering a jumper wire. The problem is If you get a new person driving your crap. and its in Reverse or first gear truck could take off. But most of us put on the emergency brake and that dose not happen.
Its even easier to unplug the switch and plug the factory shunt in it from an automatic truck.

I keep one on the glove box just in case, it’s cheap insurance.

dwil4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So today I was piddling and wired up a toggle switch to the starter relay so I can crank it until I get a new one and see if that the problem. Works perfect.. Haha

dwil4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The only solenoid's I can find have 4 posts and my OEM only has 3. On the new solenoids one of the small posts are copper colored and the other one is not. That extra post is a problem because of the wire harness that bolts on the side. I guess I could maybe grind down one of the small posts and see if that harness would then fit but im not sure that's a wise move. Maybe then cover it with epoxy or something so it wouldn't arc of something???
Anyone have any info for.this?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals