• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 Ranger build pre-runnin on a budget!

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys! welcome to the new thread. Well, as I've been saying in my other thread i would be getting a new ranger. Well i did! Its a 2.3 cyl,2wd,5spd. It has new shocks,brakes,floors,timing belt,stereo,comes with a better bed, and 2 new tires. When the summer comes things will really start picking up since i will have money to buy my long travel suspension.
Pictures!

It may not be pretty, but it gets the job done for now. My mom is taking it to the garage tomorrow to have it inspected for me and to change the tires and rims with 1st gen 4x4 aluminum rims that have better tires, and i have 2 really good tires that i am having put on the back. They have about almost a inch deep tread on them and are really aggressive. The front tires are just plain Mud and snow tires for your average daily driver.

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Does this one run and drive?

Lookin good!

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would do a 64in leaf swap and flip the shackel and build extended radius arms and I beams in the front then get new shocks, it would be fun

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would do a 64in leaf swap and flip the shackel and build extended radius arms and I beams in the front then get new shocks, it would be fun
hmm Mabey, but first i need a welder :p And to learn how to weld... i may be getting $800 on wensday, and i have $200 saved up.... So i may use $150 to buy a used mig welder. And the rest to pay for some other stuff for my truck, hmmm i'll list whats going through my heead right now:
Mig welder
F150 or 250 coils and shocks
Cragar D Window rims
2010 Ford Ranger dash,seats, and rubber floor.
And umm... anything else you guys would suggest? like small little things. as i cant use the garage and by the time i get home from school its 5pm and its dark out :( I wish my dad would send our firebird away to be fixed so i can have the garage for a while...:sad:

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
f150 coils would be way to stiff for a 4 cylinder ranger imo
Well I just wanna raise up the front a bit. Since i can get a set for cheap from the junkyard. Cause if you look at the front, its waay lower than the rear. which i don't really like :dunno: I dont care if its stiff for now :p I know what its like to have a truck with a stiff suspention. I used to own this thing

Which had leaf springs that were stiffened to give almost no flex.

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well i couldn't get my truck inspected today :(, the garage was too busy. But my mom is going to take it again on Thursday. and this weekend i'll prolly be getting my other bed,f150 coils, and some paint :icon_surprised:

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome man! Best of luck. You need to get under that thing, and get rid of some of that rust, before it does permanent damage!

Last edited:

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I know, with the black paint i'll have left over i'll scrape down the frame with a wire brush or something then repaint it black :)

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Use some washers stacked under the springs for some extra lift till you can buy new springs....look in the tech articles

rangerrookie429

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome man! Best of luck. You need to get under that thing, and get rid of some of that rust, before it does permanent damage!
Yeeeep, man vs. rust, the never-ending battle in Atlantic Canada, gotta love the salted roads eh. Truck looks like its got tons of potential man, you are gonna leave it beige right?? lol

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Budget builds FTW!

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeeeep, man vs. rust, the never-ending battle in Atlantic Canada, gotta love the salted roads eh. Truck looks like its got tons of potential man, you are gonna leave it beige right?? lol
Nope, i'm painting it white, i dont want my uncle to know that its his old truck :icon_thumby:

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Looks like a great start to a good project. You say its a 96? its not the dash and interior is from a 93-94 Ranger. The airbox is different from the 96 also. Just to make sure of the right year look on the door tag for the month and year your truck was made. At least with what you have, no airbags to worry about.
oops :dntknw: I get mixed up with my years

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals