• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 OHV Intermittent Chirp at Highway Speed

trubbleinmind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all,

96 OHV, 212,000 miles

I've got a chirp every once in a while from behind the dash, usually when passing someone at highway speed, when the engine hits ~2200-2800 RPM. It sounds like it's coming from behind the tape deck, and I've heard it both when a tape is running and when there is no tape in the deck. Same with when the heat/air is on or off. I looked around here and elsewhere and figured it was the Camshaft Position Synchronizer so I replaced that with a Motorcraft CPS as well as the lower intake gasket and everything that goes with that.

The trouble is, I'm still getting the chirp every now and then. It stops as soon as I let off the gas, doesn't always come back right away when I get back on the pedal, and doesn't do it when I rev at idle, only when at highway speed. I thought maybe it was the oil pump so I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge, but it didn't show any change in oil pressure when the sound came back. I really don't want to do the oil pump but I will if that's what it takes

Any thoughts on what else to take a look at would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Hey all,

96 OHV, 212,000 miles

I've got a chirp every once in a while from behind the dash, usually when passing someone at highway speed, when the engine hits ~2200-2800 RPM. It sounds like it's coming from behind the tape deck, and I've heard it both when a tape is running and when there is no tape in the deck. Same with when the heat/air is on or off. I looked around here and elsewhere and figured it was the Camshaft Position Synchronizer so I replaced that with a Motorcraft CPS as well as the lower intake gasket and everything that goes with that.

The trouble is, I'm still getting the chirp every now and then. It stops as soon as I let off the gas, doesn't always come back right away when I get back on the pedal, and doesn't do it when I rev at idle, only when at highway speed. I thought maybe it was the oil pump so I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge, but it didn't show any change in oil pressure when the sound came back. I really don't want to do the oil pump but I will if that's what it takes

Any thoughts on what else to take a look at would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Have the same issue with our 95' Exp. I'll keep an eye on this one. It's always possible it's belt chirp or caused by tension/idler pulleys. (ran out of money for the time being....Might snag 'em off the yard junker when I'm there tomorrow.)

S-

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'd take a look at the radio's volume control knob. This reads like it is set incorrectly.

Try turning it up and see if you still hear the chirp.

trubbleinmind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ooh, thanks adsm08, I'll check that out. the volume knob has never worked properly, won't turn off when depressed. I've got a weird farty noise from the radio only as well and was planning on pulling the unit soon to check it out anyway. I'll let you know what I find.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Unplug the AC compressor and try to get noise to come back.

Thinking it could be WOT relay cycling off and back on(chirp) the compressor.

Also I have found, like adsm08, that rolling down all the windows and having the Radio at full volume tends to "fix" any other noises issues :)

trubbleinmind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
oh wait lol :headbang:

I...get jokes...

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Unplug the AC compressor and try to get noise to come back.

Thinking it could be WOT relay cycling off and back on(chirp) the compressor.

Also I have found, like adsm08, that rolling down all the windows and having the Radio at full volume tends to "fix" any other noises issues :)
Volume knob fixed my power steering pump noise. Lol.

On topic, could possibly be belt or tensioner issue (in-line with your ac thoughts).

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Yeah, turning the music up and the 2/70 AC cranked all the way is currently fixing my wife's wheel bearing. At least until I get the time to figure out which one it is.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
On a more serious note, take the belt off and turn it around so that it is spinning the other way. So if you drew an arrow on it pointing left before you took it off the arrow would face right after reinstalling the belt.

If this fixes or changes the noise the belt is worn out and causing the noise.

trubbleinmind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
okay so I tried unplugging the A/C for my drive back from mom's house today. While it didn't eliminate the noise, it DID seem to significantly improve engine performance.

video of the sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-2w0AvZAws&fs=1" width="644" height="390">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-2w0AvZAws&fs=1" />https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-2w0AvZAws">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-2w0AvZAws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-2w0AvZAws

I'll try the belt test tomorrow, though I changed the belt/tensioner ~12,000 miles ago. water pump maybe? I'll check that when the belt is off too

When the transmission was done ~5,000 miles ago they cut my y pipe and didn't repair it. I took it to a muffler shop and they said there wasn't enough there to weld, so they mudded it up but that obviously doesn't last long. Wondering if maybe the mud has cracked and it's the two sides of the pipe rubbing on each other? It increases in volume with RPM, but not in frequency.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

trubbleinmind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
idler pulley sounds awful when spun by hand. I'll change that soon and let y'all know if that stops the sound

trubbleinmind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
changed the idler pully, pulled the stereo, hit the freeway, noise came back after a few miles. sounds way better at idle now though :icon_thumby:

BUT then I closed the middle vent doors and it didn't come back...now i'm thinking it's either the doors rattling with a certain highway vibration or something further down in the vents. no idea. oh well. what does a bad timing chain tensioner sound like on one of these? :shok:

trubbleinmind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
is it detonation? it's hard to find a good youtube that shows what detonation/pinging actually sounds like. just a lot of people asking "is this detonation"? gahh

trubbleinmind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
had a big cloud of smoke blow out from under the car while driving on the freeway today

might be time to go to a shop

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals