• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 Ford ranger dash insert - sources?

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had my windshield replaced a few days ago and the guys who did the work broke the black dash insert that runs along the bottom of the windsheld on the inside. It is in two pieces with the crack going from the VIN window and all the way across the part.

Aside from a junkyard, is there a place that might sell that part? I've looked on ebay but since I dont know the part number or even what that part is called I can't find anything. I'm not against a used part if one could be found that looks as good as mine did before they broke it.

The window replacement was part of some body work due to an accident (insurance claim). I'm going to go see if I can get this taken care of tomorrow by the shop that did the work (I just noticed it) but I'd like to be prepared enough to deal with the inevitable argument that its old old truck and there are no parts. I got that same argument when I had to accept a junkyard hood that ended up looking like a junkyard hood when it was painted.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I haven't got that dash in front of me, but is what you want integrated with the main defrost vent? That seems to be F57Z-10044E82-A.

Depending on where you look, it may be marked '98+, but that's clearly a '95+ part number. Also depending on where you look, it may or may not be labeled discontinued. Sometimes that means the guys marked "available" actually have one, and sometimes it means they have it listed wrong.

For my part, I would absolutely make it the guys who broke it's problem. If they can't find one, tell them they still owe you list price. Buy the nicest junkyard unit you can find, and keep the extra for your trouble/"diminished value".

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I haven't got that dash in front of me, but is what you want integrated with the main defrost vent? That seems to be F57Z-10044E82-A.

Depending on where you look, it may be marked '98+, but that's clearly a '95+ part number. Also depending on where you look, it may or may not be labeled discontinued. Sometimes that means the guys marked "available" actually have one, and sometimes it means they have it listed wrong.

For my part, I would absolutely make it the guys who broke it's problem. If they can't find one, tell them they still owe you list price. Buy the nicest junkyard unit you can find, and keep the extra for your trouble/"diminished value".
Thanks. Yes, its a black part that covers the defrost vents up against the windshield. Unfortunately a 96 book value isn't a lot and insurance disallowed a lot of the work that needed to be done. I have many issues with the end result and the cracked part is just the least of them. I am getting my facts together so I can defend myself when I'm told he cant find the part anywhere. My plan for tomorrow is to carefully remove the part so I can see if there is a part number on the back side.

My other issue was the cheap crappy rubber trim they put around the windshield. The guy who did the work tells me it comes pre-installed on the windshield and fixing it will require replacing the whole windshield. Do you know if that makes sense? I thought the trim gasket is a tee shaped piece of rubber that gets pushed into a channel around the windshield....

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's an antique truck, you might should ask around and see if a decent lawyer could straighten them up a bit, or at least tell you what ground you have to stand on.

An old buddy had an old car that wasn't pristine or nothing but was a classic, even if it was an old beat up one. Going down a road one day he saw a gravel truck or something coming down a road about to meet with the one he was on, but he didn't slow down or nothing, and when they met it tore his car all to pieces.

The construction company restored that car to almost like new

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That's an antique truck, you might should ask around and see if a decent lawyer could straighten them up a bit, or at least tell you what ground you have to stand on.

An old buddy had an old car that wasn't pristine or nothing but was a classic, even if it was an old beat up one. Going down a road one day he saw a gravel truck or something coming down a road about to meet with the one he was on, but he didn't slow down or nothing, and when they met it tore his car all to pieces.

The construction company restored that car to almost like new
The tree that fell on it was found to be at fault but it doesn't have insurance.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
on whose ground was that tree standing

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not an expert, but I don't think your insurance--and its limits--really matter for damage the shop caused. Shop's got insurance too, or they can eat the cost for something small.

I've installed some windows, but I don't know anything specifically about windshields (or newer Rangers). I would assume if the trim came on the windshield, it's supposed to be there.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm not an expert, but I don't think your insurance--and its limits--really matter for damage the shop caused. Shop's got insurance too, or they can eat the cost for something small.

I've installed some windows, but I don't know anything specifically about windshields (or newer Rangers). I would assume if the trim came on the windshield, it's supposed to be there.
the shop has been pretty cooperative as long as I'm willing to accept his proposed fixes which haven't been acceptable to me. I used to work in construction so I know how it works. Fixing any damage you did is good business but its also good business to do it as cheaply as possible. On auto body type stuff you can make stuff look great on delivery day when its rolling out the door. On plastic parts they will eventually crack and come apart again and look even worse when they do.

Except for 1" of the gasket (gasket is only cosmetic to fill the gap) the windshield is a perfect installation and they used a high quality part (PGM). Unfortunately the problem is right by the drivers side door and I have to see it every time I get in the truck. The guy farms out his glass work meaning I'll be three times removed from the guy doing the actual work. If he replaces the windshield as he's agreed to do I risk getting cheap POS glass because the glass guy is eating the cost. I was just wondering if the rubber trim ring can be installed separately. If so, I'll just ask him to replace that. Knowledge is power. The shop owner knows I doon't want to replace the entire windshield so he tells me the rubber seal cant be replaced without replacing the windshield. He may be telling me the truth or he may be manipulating me, that's what I'm trying to determine by learning exactly how a '96 ranger windshield is put in. No videos on youtube about it that I could find.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm curious about this as well. I'm fairly certain that all the 93+ windshields are installed the same way, so what applies to your 96 would also apply to my 99. My windshield is in great shape, but IIRC the rubber trim is cracking in a couple of spots and a paint job is in my future. It would be nice to remove the trim, paint, and install new trim without removing the glass. I don't have any idea of that is possible.

I'm not sure that I believe the guy saying that it comes preinstalled on the glass, because LMC trucks has a separate listing for the rubber trim. It may come installed on new galss for convenience, but that doesn't mean it's the only way to install it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals