• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 ext cab load limits and upgrades?

Bushwalker76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
9y
Make / Model
2.3L Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 ext cab, 2.3L engine with a 5 spead stick. I'm starting a new job and the equipment I'll be running in the bed of the truck will weight approximately 950lbs. My GVWR IS 4740, on the sticker it has a section that says springs that list : GB. It doesn't list the curb weight of the truck, but Google tells me it's 3,300lbs? Both front and rear axel ratings are 2540 and 2550 lbs.
So I'm wondering if I should upgrade my suspension and if so what would be the best way to go, add a leaf? I don't know much about this.
My shocks are bad so those are getting replaced regardless. The truck has 95,000 miles on it

Thanks for anyone who can pitch in

Gumby13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I know my 07 2.3 with the 5 speed is rated for 1260 pounds in the bed and 2660 pounds towing. I put a 5' long by 4' tall toolbox that weighed around 350 in the back, it squatted pretty good and the short wheelbase (single cab) made turns sketchy. Helper springs are the cheapest and you bolt them on and forget about them for the most part, airbags offer more control but cost more and have the possibility of the bags deteriorating over time.

Bushwalker76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
9y
Make / Model
2.3L Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, from what you said I did a little research and I think I'm going to go with the helwig helper springs. Any recommendations on shock brands? AutoZone vs something on the internet?

Gumby13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm running Gabriel max control shocks right now. Once they settle in the ride is amazing with and without a load, they take a some time settling though. Got them off RockAuto.com for a good price.

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I'm the bearer of bad news but Remember that poor engine only has 100 hp an almost no torque. I have a 1996 2.3 5 speed extended cab with AC PS PB. Its time for you to find your self 1991--1994 with a 4.0 5 speed With the 8.8 ear end with positraction with a rear sway bar Gabrial High jacker air shocks and Put some Bilstein front shock on the front and that truck will corner like it's on Rails I can take my 1991 ford ranger 4.0 with the 5 speed and take a hard turn at 60 mph I can stay in the turn with a BMW and have it in 3rd gear with my 4.10 positraction 8.8 rear end with my sway back and stay with him me running a 215 70 15 BFG TA tire

Love the 4.0 if you have the 5 speed it will have the 8.8 rear end make sure it has a rear sway bar or you will Hate it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals