• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 b2300 emissions help! Aborts test

lupinajs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I have a 96 b2300 2wd that needs to pass emissions by January. The test center said they cannot get a reading from the truck. I have never reset codes/unplugged battery. The mechanic suggested a new thermostat is very common for this type of truck and issue. I have been looking at other posts and say that the cigarette lighter fuse is linked to the obd however my fuse is fine and in tact. However the cigarette lighter is pushed into the dash since I've owned the truck and do not know if it works. The mechanic quoted me $110 to diagnose and tell what's wrong. Or he said for $125 he will do the thermostat. Do you guys think the thermostat is a viable option to try first or are there more cheaper / logical approaches? I can attach a picture of the test results later today if that will help.

Overall result - readiness abort
1122 RPM
176 engine temp
Connector status - pass
MIL engine off - pass
MIL commanded on - no
0 connector voltage
Communication status - pass
Catalyst - not ready
Comprehensive component - ready
EGR system - not ready
Fuel system - ready
Misfire - ready
Oxygen sensor - not ready
Oxygen sensor heated - not ready

Not supported - air condition system, evaporative system, heated catalyst, secondary air system.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I find the idea of a thermostat causing the ODBII test to abort highly suspect. Especially if the heater is working. The only way the thermostat could cause that, and on a 96 it's kind of a left-field idea, is that the test is stopping because the engine isn't warm enough.

Last edited:

lupinajs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Any idea or suggestions on what may be causing this? My heater works but no air conditioning just full blown heat.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Get a different opinion. If the engine is only getting to 176 that is a problem that needs to be corrected (your gas mileage should suck); but, shutting off the test? Sounds weird to me. Pull that lighter out of the socket and see if the socket works (can it charge your phone?).

lupinajs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Cigarette lighter works but the connection is poor. I need to hold the phone charger a certain way and keep moving it around for it to receive power. Any ideas?

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Cigarette lighter works but the connection is poor. I need to hold the phone charger a certain way and keep moving it around for it to receive power. Any ideas?
Well you know the fuse is good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals