• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 4.0 ohv intake manifold gaskets

franko0_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 ranger 4x4 4.0 daily driver. The lower intake gasket started leaking coolant and needs replacing. I ordered a rebuild kit from rock auto before I took it apart to save some time. ( I ordered the whole rebuild kit in case it was a head issue. On disassembly I found that the lower intake gasket is the pan type and it appears that the ones in the kit are 2 piece (F244L is the kit number). Will they still fit my engine?
They will arrive tomorrow.
I would appreciate if anyone knows could you let me know.
Frank

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, they will be fine

The 4.0l has cast iron heads and a aluminum lower intake.....................so if coolant isn't changed every 2 years you can get galvanic corrosion.

Basically when 2 different metals are connected(bolted) together and you pass an electrolyte between them(old coolant) one of the metals will start to dissolve, the aluminum in this case.

Passenger side front and drivers side rear is where you have coolant flowing thru the 4.0l lower intake, and thats wear they start to leak, as the aluminum and gasket corrode.

So make sure aluminum is not too bad, you can see where its eaten away, put RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket at ALL 4 corners

Change coolant every 2 years as specified, coolant has higher PH when fresh so galvanic corrosion can't happen, then PH goes down over a few years, probably be OKat 3 to 4 years old but after that it will start for sure.
Tap water lowers PH as well, so if you "top it up" with tap water..............well PH drops faster

franko0_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Ron.
Should I run a bead of rtv along the front and back of the block as well to seal for oil leaks
Frank

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the gasket set will come with Black RTV for that, and for the 4 corners

franko0_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks again Ron
Great info on the coolant changes as well. I had never even considered that before.
A lot easier than this gasket job for sure.
Frank

franko0_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was successful the last time I followed your advice on the lower intake gasket 2 piece set ( Thanks again ) It has lasted fine a couple of years.
However I have developed a oil leak at the back of the intake and its runnuing down the bell housing. I will be replacing the lower gasket again.
This time I have a one piece gasket from Mahle MS 16322 orig equip replacement and I was wondering if I should use sealant on the ends again or not.
The Mahle website say's that if it requires sealant it would be included. There is none included in the box but the blue rubber on the gasket seems very thin. I just wanted to see what you guy's suggest. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Frank

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
When I did the heads on my 94 I found the same issue with the lower intake. But rest assured, they work. Just make sure you don't miss any spots with the RTV in front and back.
Here's what came with mine:
20200417_155138.jpg

Old on the left. New on the right.
And RonD is dead on about the coolant. The reason I did the heads was the coolant burned a hole through one of them.

So do change the coolant on a regular basis. I learned the hard way.

Last edited:

franko0_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the quick reply rumblecloud. I followed RonD's advice the last time and it worked perfectly. This time I've ordered the one piece gasket the same as the original equipment one, MS16322-KIT-07-27-18__ra_p.jpg I was wondering if I should use sealant on the ends of this one as well. The Mahle website say's if it needs sealant it would be included. Which it isn't. I was just wondering because the rubber gaskets molded to the ends of the new Mahle one seem very thin to me. Frank

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
Funny you should ask this....
When I first opened my kit and saw the difference in the gaskets, I did exactly what you did -- I ordered full one to match what was removed. But after researching (asking the experts here, I ended up going with the two separate metal gaskets. I'd have to go back and look at the posts to tell you why.

Nevertheless, in answer to your question, yes, use the RTV front and back. How much fun would it be to not use it and find out after you have it all back together that you should have? 😬

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I used Mr. Gasket Right Stuff. it comes in a can. I applied it liberally at each end, using the 2 piece gasket. Haven't had any problem since. No leaks from lower intake.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
Went back through the old post about the gasket change. If you're interested here is the link. It starts at Post #41 and continues for several posts thereafter.

franko0_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I went through your posts about the gasket change and it was very informative. Thanks for doing the research at that time! I'm going to seal the ends when I install this new gasket because as you said " who wants to find out after that I should have" I will try and contact Mahle and see if they have changed the formulation of the sealing material to accommodate for the newer coolants. ( Just need to know what they say ). But I will definitely seal the ends anyway. Thanks again for all the knowledgeable advice. I am a lot like yourself and would rather not do it over because I didn't do something thats easy now. If I get a response from Mahle I will post it here. Thanks again and HAGD Frank

360alaska

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Wanted to add my 2 cents, I just did this job on a 1997 with a two piece gasket. (Supposedly the two-piece seals better?) I had a little bit of corrosion/pitting on the manifold coolant ports, so I did put a thin film of ultra grey on the intake side despite instructions saying not to. I put a think bead on each valley and slightly overlapped with the gasket. I did not use the included RTV, instead I bought some ultra grey. I tried to make sure nothing ended up in the engine, but as an extra precaution I poured some 10w30 over the valley and went ahead and did an oil change before starting. So far, no leaks...

Found multiple damaged parts sadly:
Tensioner
DPFE tubes
Also needed new EGR gasket for the upper intake.

One more weird thing happened to me:

I opted to separate the fuel rail and pull the injectors, when doing so two of the lower O-rings stayed in the lower intake, I thought nothing of it until it came time to re install and I notice two injectors were missing pintle caps. I scoped the motor and found them resting on the intake valves. I ended up spraying compressed air into the fuel injector port on the lower intake manifold for each cylinders. The pintle covers came flying up and landed on the cowl. They were whole and I snapped them back on.

Lesson learned: Separate the fuel rail/Injectors from the lower intake after you take it off the vehicle.

Last edited:

franko0_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used the RTV and everything seems to have worked out well. Thanks for the help with this issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals