• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 3.0L Serpentine belt squeal - please help me troubleshoot it

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
If it is the tensioner, new Ford part runs about 30-35 bucks for new complete tensioner, and is only attached by one bolt.
Simple install. Have to remove belt and possibly radiator shroud, but easily done.
Grumpaw
I replaced my OE tensioner at about 100k with a Gates and that lasted about 6 weeks. Replaced the Gates with Motorcraft and it's still going strong at 182k. I have to admit though, the Gates came with a new bolt so I spent about 50 bucks on a friggin bolt...

BTW, definitely spin the other pulleys when it's off this time.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I ordered a new tensioner and idler pulley and put them on last night. I bought AC Delco parts because they were the best quality parts I could get that would fit my car. I wanted Motorcraft but I couldn't find them both at the same seller online. I couldn't find a Motorcraft idler pulley anywhere.

The AC Delco idler pulley is not quite the same.

ACDelco 38001

This part number comes up as a direct replacement at every website I checked though. There was no room to install the original dust shield in the front so I left it off. Every thing else matched up and it fits and works fine. I fired it up and all the squealing is gone - sounds great!

The original flanged bolt covers the bearing so I guess its OK but I'm wondering what you guys think ?????

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I think you'll be OK. Is the idler pulley diameter the same as the old one and smooth? The one you list looks to be a 90mm. I guess there are some 76mm out there too. These seem like the two common diameter pulleys for many applications but would require a different length belt for proper tension.

I use alot of ACDelco parts on an old Pontiac I currently have and they seem to be pretty good as a whole. I'd still prefer the Motorcraft for the tensioner (RockAuto).

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think you'll be OK. Is the idler pulley diameter the same as the old one and smooth? The one you list looks to be a 90mm. I guess there are some 76mm out there too. These seem like the two common diameter pulleys for many applications but would require a different length belt for proper tension.

I use alot of ACDelco parts on an old Pontiac I currently have and they seem to be pretty good as a whole. I'd still prefer the Motorcraft for the tensioner (RockAuto).
I bought the AC Delco tensioner because it would come faster. Seems like a decent part. Everybody had a 3 day delay on the Motorcraft tensioner including rockauto. The ranger is my daily driver and its been parked for over a week. I have another truck I can drive to work but it get horrible gas mileage and I drive 100 miles every day.

RangerVet

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordRanger Edge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
From here on down it's uphill all the way!
As stated above, use a long extension or long screwdriver and lister to each bearing/pulley as you hold one end to your ear and the other end to the bearing in question. You will need an assistant to start the truck since the noise goes away quickly. Watch out for the fan!
Watch this video that has some other good tips.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know it's just a band aid but I would always give the belt a dash of baby powder to get rid of the squeaking noise when I had coolant leaking onto the belt. Works like a charm and you can get a small bottle of baby powder for $1 and keep it in the truck. Still need to fix the issue though as it won't get better. This is just a quick tip to get rid of squeaks.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I know it's just a band aid but I would always give the belt a dash of baby powder to get rid of the squeaking noise when I had coolant leaking onto the belt. Works like a charm and you can get a small bottle of baby powder for $1 and keep it in the truck. Still need to fix the issue though as it won't get better. This is just a quick tip to get rid of squeaks.
Uh, that stuff's inhumane. Since Olive Oil comes from Olives, I gather that baby powder would come from babies.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It doesn't say what kind of babies so its safe to assume its just guppy babies or something like that. I think it does give you cancer if you use too much of it on your junk.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
You can get just the tensioner pulley from RockAuto. I replaced mine due to a slight squeak on cold start. The factory pulley had worn in such a way that the center was higher than the outer edges, causing the belt to wander back and forth across the surface. Also the original bearing was getting grunchy. I still have a very minor squeak at cold start, and I suspect it is the idler pulley.

welltal89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Resurrecting this post from last year: Just bought the AC Delco idler pulley and a Motorcraft Belt (Part number from Rockauto: JK6891)

The Dayco garbage that was on there didn't seat properly, so now I've got a chewed up belt and half of an idler pulley.

Hopefully all goes smoothly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals