• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 96 2.3 misfire I cant diagnos

Geddes84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Hi everybody! I'm new here but, ofcourse I've read lots of posts helping me solve my problems here through Google searches for many years.
I'm having a misfire issue with my ranger.. I've done all the basic things, plugs, wires and I was giving up on it being electrical until recently hooked my timing light to give it a shot. So with that it was apparent I was having a random misfire from every plug wire. Oddly tho, the misfire will clear up when i take the wire off of the coil and let the arc jump for a distance this happens with every plug wire. I've checked my coils and both primary and secondary resistance is in spec. I'm swapped plug wires, coils, and computer with ones that worked fine from my previous ranger now parts car that ran great when I stopped driving it.. Nothing changes the issue.
The symptoms are. It will miss slight at idle which I'm pretty sure it has always done, but more recently and more of an obvious issue it will noticeably misfire after I accelerate then let off the gas without accelerating, like when I'm shifting and getting up to speed, this miss doesnt carry on forever it will clear itself upon a few seconds. It doesnt seem to miss under load. Also if I rev the engine up and let it go back down to idle it will stumble and die.
I guess this could be a compound issue but I'm not sure. Im really stumped as to what would make the misfire apparent through the timing light only to correct itself when I lengthen the arc between the coil and wire.. Anyone have any pointers? Thanks you guys

I almost forgot, no codes...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What do you have the spark plugs gapped at? Maybe open the gap up a bit?

Geddes84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I didn't check the gap. They are fresh motorcraft tho, I looked at them and they looked like they were where they should be. I dont think that is it, I recently changed the plugs with no change in the issue. I know gapping is important, I use to do it but I've given up doing it on anything that isnt a small engine like my motorcycle or chainsaw, I've never had it give me an issue, doing it or not. I'll give it a shot tho, I just don't think they are that out of spec from the box. Thanks

Geddes84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I had time with the ranger today and looked into the injectors. I put my timing light on cylinder one and it had a noticeable misfire, I then unplugged the injector for that cylinder and the flashing of the light didn't indicate a misfire anymore....
I'm cleaning the injectors from my other truck now and I'll install them tomorrow they all seem fine.
Problem in my mind is, I also uninstalled the injectors from my current ranger and they seem fine too (pass cleaner fine, healthy clicking, resistance is within spec)
So I hope these known working ones make a difference but, I'm beginning to think they wont.. pressure regulator possibly? The vehicle seemes like its getting too much fuel, not running lean..I haven't checked pressure but, I'm interested now.

Flounderguts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Base model 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Seems like this is a pretty common problem on the 2.3. Mine also misses a bit, or stalls if I run it hard and then let off the pedal fast.

My guess is the HLA system on the rocker arms is getting pressurized with oil, and then keeping the exhaust valves open a bit too much...esp on a higher mileage motor that might have worn/recessed exhaust valves. I'm going to try running a lower viscosity oil and see if it helps.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Seems like this is a pretty common problem on the 2.3. Mine also misses a bit, or stalls if I run it hard and then let off the pedal fast.

My guess is the HLA system on the rocker arms is getting pressurized with oil, and then keeping the exhaust valves open a bit too much...esp on a higher mileage motor that might have worn/recessed exhaust valves. I'm going to try running a lower viscosity oil and see if it helps.
"HLA system"
What is?

Flounderguts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Base model 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Hydraulic Lift Adjustment

There are oil filled lifters on the end of the rocker arm opposite the valve. They fill up with oil and automatically adjust the valve lash. Way cool, after you've spent hours and hours adjusting valves on your 22RE Toyota...

Geddes84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual

Hey, thanks for replying. I've been going back and forth with a fellow over at the ford truck forum for a while now. Very knowledgable guy but I still haven't gotten anywhere with my issue. Randomly one evening I ran across a YouTube video where a guy was having basically the same exact issue I explained and it turned out to be receding valve seats.. So taking that into consideration I was also thinking maybe it's the Hydraulic lash adjusters. I have not tested for this at all yet, but I plan on it soon when I get some time. I'll post the video when I have a chance. I really think this could help a lot of other people. I'll do what I can to keep this updated with my findings.

Geddes84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual

That's the video I ran across.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals