• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) '96 2.3 Lima Tune-Up

Ranger_XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
When changing the spark plugs and plug wires, would it be more beneficial to change the ignition-control module as well?

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ranger_XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
A full tune-up is being done: spark plugs (double platinum), plug wires, water pump, radiator-clutch fan, tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, timing belt, alternator (went bad), alternator pulley, starter (going bad), battery, fuel filter, oil filter, air filter, oil change, and coolant flush/change -- all of which are Motorcraft parts; the only question I had was the thermostat -- some say change it, and some say leave it. It is inexpensive and located right near the timing belt, which is being replaced anyway.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The question is, does it cool correctly now? If so, I wouldn't screw with it... my '97 only gets up to temperature if the outside temperature is above 50F (kinda annoying when you want the heater to work), I have my OBD II dongle thing in with Torque hooked up and when it's cold the needle is down by the C and Torque is saying I think 72C which I think is 165F. I even put in a new Motorcraft thermostat, no change. It looks like someone changed the thermostat housing which if it was too long could bypass too much coolant with the goofy design... Unless my fan clutch is stuck on, I can't imagine the heater core taking that much heat rejection...

Ranger_XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
The PCV valve is done, too; the only things not yet touched are the EGR valve, O2 sensors, and ignition coil.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The question is, does it cool correctly now? If so, I wouldn't screw with it... my '97 only gets up to temperature if the outside temperature is above 50F (kinda annoying when you want the heater to work), I have my OBD II dongle thing in with Torque hooked up and when it's cold the needle is down by the C and Torque is saying I think 72C which I think is 165F. I even put in a new Motorcraft thermostat, no change. It looks like someone changed the thermostat housing which if it was too long could bypass too much coolant with the goofy design... Unless my fan clutch is stuck on, I can't imagine the heater core taking that much heat rejection...
Limas just don't get very hot... Its one of the reasons they are so reliable, theres just a ton of iron for such a small displacement. I've seen them raced in demolition derbies with no cooling system at all and still run fine.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
fair enough, maybe I'm just too used to the turbo and some self imposed issues with a tiny fan and a 2" thick radiator with no effective fan shroud :). Having heat in the winter would be nice though... no mater what the heat in my '90 is amazing, if the heater core wasn't so buried in a '97 I'd just change it, it does put out heat once it warms up though but by then I don't need heat...

Ranger_XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
fair enough, maybe I'm just too used to the turbo and some self imposed issues with a tiny fan and a 2" thick radiator with no effective fan shroud :). Having heat in the winter would be nice though... no mater what the heat in my '90 is amazing, if the heater core wasn't so buried in a '97 I'd just change it, it does put out heat once it warms up though but by then I don't need heat...
Scott, Dirtman: what would you say to the EGR valve, O2 sensor, and ignition coil insofar as a part of tune-up?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Egr valve can just be cleaned. No reason to replace it if its functional as it's not a "wear item" like spark plugs. O2 sensors would depend on mileage. They do wear out but last quite a long time (100,000+ miles). Coil/pack is also is not a wear item, if its not broken there's no use replacing it.

Ranger_XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Egr valve can just be cleaned. No reason to replace it if its functional as it's not a "wear item" like spark plugs. O2 sensors would depend on mileage. They do wear out but last quite a long time (100,000+ miles). Coil/pack is also is not a wear item, if its not broken there's no use replacing it.
Thank you, I had done what I stated above, and after reading the various articles, I only added a PCV valve; everything else was comprehensive.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals