• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 Ranger to 90 Bronco 2 suspension comparable?

Naddanme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m getting some sites telling me I can use a 90 Bronco aftermarket suspension on my 95 Ranger and some say I can’t. I know they are similar but what are the differences. Both are v6 2.9 and 4.0?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Lot of things are more or less the same. Some other things are not. It depends on what you are trying to do and use.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
What he said. Early '90 model year is Dana 28 which eliminates some parts from compatibility but leaves a lot compatible as well... Lift brackets and radius arms are compatible other than the Dana 28 has a double shear lower shock mount with a through bolt and a sleeve for the shock bolt, the Dana 35 has a single shear with a stud on the radius arm. I think the radius arms are the same other than the bolt holes on top and bottom might be slightly different size between D28 and D35. If dana 35 to Dana 35 almost everything should interchange, unless your '95 has dual piston calipers and ABS, there's some things that are different in some of the parts...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
My early-'90 BII that had a D28 had the same stud-type shock mounts as my '94 radius arms had (I think the change away from the double-shear shock brackets occurred for 1989 models). Everything I can think of is pretty much the same under the front between the two other than the brake parts already mentioned, adjustable steering stops on the '95, and I think there may be some differences in the mounting brackets of the front sway bar.

The rear suspension is also similar, except that the Ranger has a factory lift spacer (block) which the BII does not use.

Where you may possibly run into a difference is with the spring rates (their stiffness). A V6 Ranger pickup (especially if it's a Supercab model) is much heavier than a BII, and so would normally require much stiffer springs to support the weight. Since you said this was an aftermarket suspension, there's also the possibility you might be OK since some suspension companies, rather than take this weight difference into account when designing their kits, they instead just picked a single spring rate somewhere in the middle that would serve all adequately, but few or none exceptionally. If this is the case, then you might be able to get away with nothing more than spring shims or spacers if it's the BII suspension going onto the Ranger.

Do you know what brand suspension lift this is you're looking to swap over?

Naddanme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies. I think It was just wrong info on a site. I’m still learning about these trucks Rangers are completely new to me. 😬

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals