• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'95 Ranger 2.3L Timing Question

thesmokey1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
How to set timing on 95 Ranger 2.3L? HELP!

My vehicle is a 1995 Ford Ranger XL 2WD with a 2.3l SOHC engine. I just got a great deal on this truck but the guy I bought it off of changed the timing pulley ( I think that's what it's called) on it and said that he wasn't sure if the timing was properly adjusted. I'm guessing it isn't because the engine has some hesitation when you hit the gas and it doesn't really seem to rev very high. I drove it around my yard and it didn't seem to have any power. How can I check to see if the timing is right on it? Can I just use a timing light? And also if it isn't right how exactly can I adjust it? I have access to a lot of tools and a timing light but I've never used a timing light before. If it isn't the timing what can I check that might be causing this? I changed the spark plugs and wires, thermostat and changed the oil in it yesterday. It doesn't seem to be leaking any fluids whatsoever and it fires right up and runs reasonably smooth, I can't really hear any misfires. I would really appreciate any help you guys could give me! :icon_thumby:
Thanks- Cory

Last edited:

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
How about a couple pictures of your MG?

thesmokey1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad140/Kingoverace/001-4.jpg
Above is a picture of the cam timing that needs to be checked first.
Alright, thank you for the pic! I checked the timing marks and they were all lined up perfectly. Threw a timing light on it and it read all crazy, then I figured out you have to disconnect the SPOUT connection and then test it. I think I unplugged the right thing and it read at about 10-12 on the guide which I'm pretty sure is normal.(UPDATE: I wasn't looking at the right marks and I did not have the SPOUT connector unplugged) Could this no power thing be related to a stuck valve or dirty fuel injectors? I've pretty much replaced everything else I could think of that would cause this problem. Any suggestions would be most welcome, and I'd REALLY appreciate it. I really need to get this truck going so if anyone could point me to what I should try next you would literally be the effing man. :headbang:

Last edited:

SMTGREG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MGB
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Transmission
Manual
Here is a link to pics and a road test of my 65 MGB

/picasaweb.google.com/SMTGreg/MGB#

Last edited:

SMTGREG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MGB
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Transmission
Manual
Things to try.
Loosen the exhaust at the manifold and try, could be restricted cat converter.
Check compression.
Check for codes.
Inspect air cleaner and ducts for restriction.

kelly775

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
ranger low power

okay read your 2.3l ranger problem. how about sharing pain and solution. i have same problem of low power in 1st and 2nd gear, after timimg belt and sensor replaced. timing at 10 degreees btdc. replaced coil packs, plugs,compression is 180 cold, 210 hot. 230,000 miles. engine in great shape. no computer codes given.(computer checked-ok)

i did vacuum check. found vacuum control to be part of problem.(replaced this-$33.00). egr has some pressure-$85.00 but clicks on when testing. checked all systems and connections-all appear okay. dropped exhaust-mechanic says cat conv. not plugged., runs smooth...just low power. about 40 mph runs better. still puzzled!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 & 7.5 460
Transmission
Manual
Ah its a 2.3 low power is what they are:D How about the fuel filter. What size tires are on it. Mine has a hard time getting out of its own way. 3.42 gears and 235 75 15 tires.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Tune it up.

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
well I would start putting some of that Lucias fuel injection cleaner in your full tank and do it every other full tank.

One other thing for low compression engines with more then 170,000 miles Buy this can called Restore.Change your oil and add this can every New Oil change its not a flush you add it to your new oil change.Remember to get all the oil out of this can mix some new oil to flush all the stuff in this chrome can and get it in your engine wait up to 500 miles and see your compression improve.

Check your fuel Pump see if your fuel pump is going bad.

What about the O2 Censer you have 3 of the dam things on a 2.3LT Engine. from 1996--2011 OBDI on 1995 and down.

One on the exhaust one before the Cat and 0ne after the cat to check for KNOX.Now on car's and trucks before 1996 they only had 2 O2 censers on rangers 1995 and earlier then came the OBDII for 1996 and newer only had 3 O2 Censers

the O2 can really make your truck not to preform and i seen a few go bad for for they put on a check engine light And Check the Knox censer

Last edited:

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Restore coats the cylinder walls with goo. That goo hardens on the walls and eventually burns back off. What doesn't harden on the cylinder walls to seal pits goes in the crank case and valve train where it eventually gums things up real good including oil passages.
I wouldn't use it.

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
well so far I've yet to see it in any of the engines It has added life to my 750,000 mile 350 in my 1965 3/4 ton I was down to 80 PSI in 3 if my pistons and now i'm Back up to 103 I feel it is the only thing i've tryed that put life back into a dieing engine and that's what we all are looking for Plus i add a little Lucas Oil treatment as well so i doubt any gumming up or my old mechanical old oil pressure gauge would be acting up as well Just think I have a copper tube with a small gauge if what your telling me is happening My gauge would plug up to and so far for the last 6 months Nothing I have the same oil pressure or a little more But really no change so I'm in the junk hauling business I put my trucks throw the shit more then any of the 4X4 guys do buy putting over the legal mount of weight that should be in the back of a truck and its worked perfectly

Restore coats the cylinder walls with goo. That goo hardens on the walls and eventually burns back off. What doesn't harden on the cylinder walls to seal pits goes in the crank case and valve train where it eventually gums things up real good including oil passages.
I wouldn't use it.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Oh its on its way. Just be patient.

thesmokey1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
Well I've got an update and lots of progress! I found a different set of pictures for the timing marks on the shafts. Turns out I wasn't looking for the right marks :icon_confused:!! I lined them up properly and the truck fired right up and ran verrrry smoothly. The truck still has some hesitation and acts almost like it wants to die if you punch the gas, but if you just ease into it it accelerates so-so. ( I do know it's a 4-cyl lol) But yeah, I'm pretty pleased with it and this being my second Ranger, same year and everything I'm excited to get some tags on it this Monday and do a little road-testing. I will definitely update you guys on it.

thesmokey1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
okay read your 2.3l ranger problem. how about sharing pain and solution. i have same problem of low power in 1st and 2nd gear, after timimg belt and sensor replaced. timing at 10 degreees btdc. replaced coil packs, plugs,compression is 180 cold, 210 hot. 230,000 miles. engine in great shape. no computer codes given.(computer checked-ok)

i did vacuum check. found vacuum control to be part of problem.(replaced this-$33.00). egr has some pressure-$85.00 but clicks on when testing. checked all systems and connections-all appear okay. dropped exhaust-mechanic says cat conv. not plugged., runs smooth...just low power. about 40 mph runs better. still puzzled!
Just wondering, but are you sure you lined up the timing marks properly on all three shafts when you replaced your timing belt? The marks on the sprockets were extremely hard to see on my truck, I couldn't even find them until I scraped the sprockets off with a wire brush. I've got links to the pages where I found the CORRECT information. No offense to you guys here at RTS but I didn't find much help here... Also, when you mentioned your timing was at 10 BTDC was that with or without the SPOUT connector plugged in? It has to be unplugged to properly read it with a timing gun because the ignition timing is controlled by the computer, and without the SPOUT connector unplugged it will just read the COMPUTER CORRECTED timing, not your actual cam and crankshaft timing aka your valve timing.
I'm no expert mechanic here, but I tore my truck apart about 4 times before I got it figured out so I have some experience with this fix, ;) I hope you have some luck with your problem, it certainly drove me nuts. If you have any questions just reply to this thread or send me a message.

Here is the link to some clear pictures and instructions on this fix:

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?177331-2.3-amp-2.5-Timing-belt-removal-amp-installation.&p=1342564

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals