• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'95 Hydraulic Clutch(5 spd) reuse on a '71 Toploader(4 spd) ??

smilinjack

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
408C
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2"
Tire Size
315 /35- 17
My credo
Always bite off more than you can chew!! :)
Hello All. I've got a '95 Ranger V6, 5 spd manual that I'm doing an engine/trans/rear end/ everything swap.
So I'm installing a 4 spd. '71 toploader behind a Cleveland and trying to figure out the clutch app. I want to use.
The truck came with a hydraulic clutch. I know I have to get a new servo and mounting bracket but was curious as to whether I can reuse the master cylinder that is mounted on the firewall? I'm thinkin' hydraulic pressure is hydraulic pressure!
Anybody out there know of this app., or has actually repurposed these cylinders?? Thanks

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hydraulic pressure is hydraulic pressure, but bore size will have a lot to do with how much pressure is put out and how far the throw is. Its like the difference when someone steps on your foot; a high heel hurts a lot more than a hushpuppie.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
^ what he said. Bore size is critical. I used my factory master cylinder and a Speedway slave... pedal is rather stiff. I had a Land Cruiser slave before and it was VERY stiff. It will take some experimentation... the clutch springs, length of the clutch fork, and other factors will come into play. The short answer is: yes, you can use it, and probably should use it, since it's in a weird location and because of the brake booster above it, it's hard to make anything else work right.

smilinjack

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
408C
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2"
Tire Size
315 /35- 17
My credo
Always bite off more than you can chew!! :)
Thanks for the responses. Problem I'm having is the Bore on a stock Ranger is 5/8" . Most of the decent or good slaves (exterior mount) are 3/4' and 7/8" so that master won't work properly or efficiently. Got a tip to try a '99 F 550 master but I'm not sure of it's mounting location??
I've got a wide open engine bay right now but would really like to find a "twist-in" MC that had a 3/4" or 7/8" bore but then again I'd like to find a million dollars too!! Seems this project is ALL about experimentation! But I love it :cool:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals