• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 F250 rear axle seals, not the hub seal on floating axle

sparksandchips

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F250
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys is there a guru on here that can tell me about the axle seals that engage with the hub seal.

Attachments

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
What exactly do you need to know? That is technically the hub/wheel bearing seal, theres a seal on the axle flange at the outer end of the hub, and then the hub/wheel bearing seal on the inner side of the hub assembly. That seal should be attached to the hub.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I know that a few years back nothing but OE Ford seals were fitting for some reason.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Looks like someone used a Scotseal or repair seal on it. That is what I used on my f250 they work well. The reason I say that, half of the seal is still on the axle looking at the picture. The repair seal is glued with rtv onto the old seal surface on the axle. You need to take a screwdriver and pry the rest of that off.

sparksandchips

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F250
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys thanks for the reply. I got new seals from Ford but they are much different. See pictures.
Have either of you seen this before?
The one on the left is the new one and the right is the old. Pic 8116.
I could tell that the new would not engage the hub seal when installed due to the additional thickness of rubber/seal material.
Today, I took the new one, lubed and slipped it on the spindle to the position of the original in the first picture I attached.
I then installed the hub and started the nut, continued to pull up but never got to the pre-load position on the bearings before the back of the new seal began to contact the brake flange bolts (pic 8129).
I removed the assembly, then reinstalled the hub only to see where the back of the hub came to in relation to the brake flange bolts. I went to pre-load and backed off slightly and then measured the distance as seen in the picture, distance left is 3/16, no where near enough room to allow for this seal. Pic 8130
The old seal area that I am pointing to in the first picture is where the hub seal runs to prevent leaking. If I install these seals, the hub seal will not engage the surface. The spindle is not worn where it would warrant a seal like I found to compensate and change the hub seal to accommodate this seal but I can't reassemble without it now....

Seals are $65.00 each, fortunately I was cautious and did not damage the one I installed and can return.

So, with that dissertation have you guys encountered this on your F250 2WD?

My background:
Welder, Machinist/toolmaker. (When I was young)
Quality Assurance Eng. ( my old man job now)
Warranty Eng.
I built the stuff that builds stuff...….

Been working on things since I was young and have never encountered a situation like this. From tractors to cotton pickers, my Dad's plane and my own airplane, cars/truck. I know OEM make changes during production, I see it all the time now that I work in the auto industry for a supplier.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals