• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'95 4x4 ranger..Yay or nay

HeadlandRam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Today I asked a man who had this old 95 ranger sitting in yard behind his shop for a while, Well the specs are its 3.0 Auto with Shift on the fly T-case. Said he bought it new in 95 and gave it to his daughter who just gotten married and his son-in-law put 20w-50 in the motor and it slung a rod. He is askin' 500 as. I have the money to do so, but I was curious what yall think? The body is fairly good, It has a few dents but I can fix em

Here is a pic:

rhekman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
How many miles? I'd bring a spare battery and check out what you can like computer codes, lights, accessories, t-case shift motor etc. Also if you have access to check condition of fluids like coolant, tranny t-case, diff, etc. that would be good.

Sounds like a good deal if all you need extra is to rebuild the motor. Even if that's an extra grand or more you're still well under what those trucks are going for at dealers around here. If the block isn't shot you might get off cheaper. Depends I guess too on what you plan to do with it. If you're going to tear into it anyway it's probably a good foundation. For a reliable driver it can be dicey getting in to something you can't test drive.

I'd be curious how you like the 3.0 vs the 2.3. I've had a couple 4 banger gen1's and they're torquey little guys. I won't bag on the 3.0, but I passed up several last summer when I went shopping for a 95-97 4x4 and picked up a 4.0 instead. I really like those years for the combination of features - newer body & interior style, ttb up front, 4 wheel abs, etc.

Good luck

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like its been sitting in the field for awhile. You should check for nest of any sort. But $500 sounds like a pretty good deal. And you could get a 4.0 in there instead of the 3.0. I say yay.

HeadlandRam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How many miles? I'd bring a spare battery and check out what you can like computer codes, lights, accessories, t-case shift motor etc. Also if you have access to check condition of fluids like coolant, tranny t-case, diff, etc. that would be good.

Sounds like a good deal if all you need extra is to rebuild the motor. Even if that's an extra grand or more you're still well under what those trucks are going for at dealers around here. If the block isn't shot you might get off cheaper. Depends I guess too on what you plan to do with it. If you're going to tear into it anyway it's probably a good foundation. For a reliable driver it can be dicey getting in to something you can't test drive.

I'd be curious how you like the 3.0 vs the 2.3. I've had a couple 4 banger gen1's and they're torquey little guys. I won't bag on the 3.0, but I passed up several last summer when I went shopping for a 95-97 4x4 and picked up a 4.0 instead. I really like those years for the combination of features - newer body & interior style, ttb up front, 4 wheel abs, etc.

Good luck
Thanks man, I was glad when he said '95, I am use to 0BD2 so it will be good, I would like to see the same, I love my little 2.3, For what is is it does good and hopefully will be better with 4.10 gears and a little head work and a cam. I am gonna see if I can't get a good look at it soon, Odds are its gonna be returned to a drivable status with a few mods here and there for strength and driveability. it will be mainly a backup to my truck and for one of my siblings in my family.

Thanks for the input and do you live in grand rapids, my family is up there and ill be driving up the Rescue Ranger in the summer to see some family

Looks like its been sitting in the field for awhile. You should check for nest of any sort. But $500 sounds like a pretty good deal. And you could get a 4.0 in there instead of the 3.0. I say yay.
Thanks for the input too man, Ill be sure to look.

rhekman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Thanks for the input and do you live in grand rapids, my family is up there and ill be driving up the Rescue Ranger in the summer to see some family.
I'm actually on the north side of the twin cities. Grand Rapids, MN is about a 3 hour drive north on US169 (pretty scenic too). Used to go through there on our way to Duluth when I lived in NW Minnesota.

Don't have a date set, but my brother and I plan on camping and checking out some of the trails up in Gilbert MN this summer. That's another hour NE of Grand Rapids in the iron range. Hope to have the 4" lift and 33's installed on my '95 by then.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yay, that's almost scrap price. And just a bed goes for aaround $300

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals