• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 95 2.3 stalling issues

Everydayriot17

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
So, I've got a 95 2wd with the 2.3 and it's been giving me some heartache as of late. About a week ago, I had to break hard because someone had just stopped in the middle of the street and the truck died. After that point, it started stalling more and more to the point I couldn't take hard corner or slow down even a little bit with out it stalling out. I tested the fuel rails and it seemed like it was getting fuel, and I have spark, so I assumed something was amiss with some sort of sensor. Research led me to the fact IAC, EGR, or the MAP could be cause it to flood out if I brake too quickly. replaced the IAC and cleaned the MAP and it seemed to get rid of some idle problems, but the engine still stalls out when braking or cornering. After having one such incident, I checked the fuel rail and I didn't have any pressure at all. So just to clarify, it idles beautifully, smooth as can be, and even pumping the brakes before moving doesn't even bog the engine down. So I've run out of idea's. Also there's no check engine light either.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
With what you've already done there's two possibilities I can think of, inertia switch (passenger floorboard at the front of the carpet by the passengers left foot) is getting touchy or the tube between the fuel pump and the rest of the pickup tube is having issues...

That is unless the IAC is getting sticky, it's the thing on the side of the throttle body with 2 wires on it.

Not to get persnickety but you don't have a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor but a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor, they stopped using MAP sensors in mid '90 on the 4 cylinders.

Everydayriot17

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
Yea, my bad on the MAF. I bypassed the inertia switch and it's also not the problem. I also figured out that if I baby the motor, like slow down with no brakes and give it gas in neutral, it seems to not die. Also, the Schrader valve on the fuel rail leaks. Not sure if that's relevant or not.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ok, with that said I would suspect either a vacuum leak or the IAC is sticky and not opening (more likely than a vacuum leak)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals